Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Whoops... Padron me!

Whoops... Padron me!

Postby Upstream » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:23 am

Hi guys,

I was hoping that someone could shed some light on this for me as the information I've seen online thus far seems a little contradictory...

We have a home here but aren't residents (one of the joys of brexit unfortunately). I've heard about this thing called a 'padron' but I'm not clear on exactly what it is, how it works, how one goes about getting one, what the advantages / disadvantages are as well as whether or not as a non - resident I'd even be eligible.

Could someone perhaps shed some light on this please?

Many thanks.
Upstream

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Whoops... Padron me!

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:42 am

Do a search for Padron for non residents and look at previous replies. This is one from Marcliffe

Only those who are permanent residents in Spain should be on the padron. Some councils, like Rojales, let non residents onto the padron for that very reason but they shouldn't be.
Once on the padron you are officially stating that this is your permanent home so you could be getting questions why you are not paying income tax and other such things.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Darro » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:03 am

Not strictly equivalent but in broad terms you can think of the Padron as a local electoral roll which only residents are entitled to sign onto.

If not resident then you definitely do not want to be on it and there is no advantage to be had.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Martin the artist » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:11 am

Councils receive money from central government according to the number of people that live in their town - as counted on the padron.
And those on the padron are then entitled to vote in their local elections to have a say as to how that money is spent.
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Upstream » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:40 am

Thanks for the replies guys!
Upstream

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada