Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Roundabout changes

Re: Roundabout changes

Postby marcliff » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:13 pm

DGT shows how

round.jpg
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Espanabums » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:41 pm

The only "must do" actions on roundabouts, according to the Spanish highway code, are 1 never exit the roundabout in the left hand lane, unless the right hand lane is blocked, and 2, signal your intention to exit.

In order to exit the roundabout in the right hand lane you must arrive in it whist negotiating the roundabout and if not possible you must go around again. This is the reason why many drivers opt to always use the outside lane all the way around, which is their right.

I once attended a meeting given by serving trafico officers, where this subject was discussed in depth with many nationalities in the audience. One point brought up by one officer was, if you are not exiting at the first exit, as a courtesy, you should operate your left indicator until just before your exit and then change to the right indicator before exiting.
Steve & Jill, Torrevieja
Espanabums

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja Centro

Postby The Eagle » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:23 pm

marcliff wrote:
donniemacd wrote:According to the 332 website, the inside lane is for overtaking only!
This is why we have idiots who are overtaking and then cutting in on the drivers who are going all the way around.
As far as I am aware Spain is the only European country that teaches turning left by going all the way round the roundabout on the outside lane and NO need to indicate as that is considered a courtesy.
Considering the amount of foreign visitors, not to mention the thousands of non Spanish living in Spain, It's a case of when in Rome!!!!

They stopped that quite a long time ago. Spanish highway code (yes, there is one) has shown using the nearside lane for going around for a long time.
Trouble is, older people were taught the other way and still use it like that. We've had the diagrams on here several times and it shows the right hand lane is for going straight on or turning right. The left hand lane is for turning left or going all the way round but you must move to the right hand lane before exiting.

I don't think you should change lanes on a roundabout whilst using the left hand to turn left because there might be other traffic on your right.
Much better in my opinion to just stay in your lane and exit in the left hand lane of the roundabout.
Of course you have to be aware that the car on your right is not going to take the same exit as you in it's right hand lane,and may carry on round in front of you hence a collision.
Better to hold back a bit and see where it's going or always use the right hand lane when turning left. That way you remain in the same lane throughout and that is the way I use a roundabout when turning left. It's all about safety.
The Eagle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Diane daya vieja » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:42 pm

I was always taught to treat a roundabout like a straight road. The inner one as an overtaking lane but you can’t change lanes unless it’s clear to do so. I do not advise travelling all the way round in the outside lane as someone is bound to cut across you. Beware is the maxim. If you were the only driver on the road there would be no accidents. Being conscious of what other drivers are likely to do is the key.
Diane daya vieja

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera

Postby jpeg » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:44 am

Diane when you say Inner lane are you meaning Left or right ??
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby The Eagle » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:30 pm

Diane daya vieja wrote:I was always taught to treat a roundabout like a straight road. The inner one as an overtaking lane but you can’t change lanes unless it’s clear to do so. I do not advise travelling all the way round in the outside lane as someone is bound to cut across you. Beware is the maxim. If you were the only driver on the road there would be no accidents. Being conscious of what other drivers are likely to do is the key.

Yes good post Dianne.

'Being conscious of what other drivers are likely to do is the key.' is exactly right.

But that means using mirrors, indicators and stuff.
The Eagle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby nigieboy » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:43 pm

Judging by the debate so far- by eliminating the inner lane it will be safer on the revised roundabouts which have had the inner lane concreted over! With only one car on the outer lane there's no room for errors,and no need to look over both shoulders wgen making any manoeuvres
nigieboy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby marcliff » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:14 pm

nigieboy wrote:Judging by the debate so far- by eliminating the inner lane it will be safer on the revised roundabouts which have had the inner lane concreted over! With only one car on the outer lane there's no room for errors,and no need to look over both shoulders wgen making any manoeuvres

Exactly the point. One of the worst is the flamingo roundabout in Torrevieja. Two lanes round the roundabout but, when you go over the bridge, only one lane and I've had loads on the left hand lane try swinging in front to go over the bridge.

And, I might not, not always Spanish drivers.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby telmel » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:01 am

The worst roundabout local to me is the one at Punta Prima where you can turn off to go to torrevieja
There is always some idiot in the wrong lane cutting across you , i have lost count of the number of times i have had to use my horn to warn someone they had nearly hit me
telmel

Which part of Spain are you from?: orihuela costa

Postby BNT162b2 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:05 am

This is my personal favourite...by Mercadona in Playa Flamenca.

Now I don't know which came first...the roundabout, or the supermarket exit leading directly onto it...but it's lethal!!!

Screenshot_20230429_090243_Maps.jpg
BNT162b2

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

PreviousNext

Return to Quesada general discussion