Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Irish passport holders

Irish passport holders

Postby 10JPS » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:22 am

A new slant.
My wife has both British and Irish passports. If any folk are in the same position, which passport do you use, where and why?
Does it make sense to enter and leave Spain with Irish passport and enter and leave Uk with British passport?
Is there any reason to hold both? Why not just the Irish one?
Her Briitsh passport runs out in 2025, is there a need to renew?

There seems to be a lot of talk as to whether I can also benefit from her new found dual passport status. I've read the articles in the Times and it would appear that she can claim the benefits but possibly not me - is this the case do we feel?
10JPS

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Re: Irish passport holders

Postby Bee » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:37 pm

Your wife should use her Irish Passport entering and leaving Spain and her UK Passport entering and leaving UK. I would never give up a Passport. I would advise her to keep both of them. She has the best of both worlds. As for clarity on spouses of EU citizens I have given up as it is impossible to get a Yes or No answer. People have been led to believe that UK passport spouses can bypass the 90/180 days when travelling with your EU passport spouse but it hasn't been put to the test yet as there is no electronic counting of days. Your UK Passport will be stamped whether with your wife or not and you will both have to go to the manned Passport counter anyway as Ireland is not in the Schengen area. Irish Passports are not stamped. If you do a search on this forum there are lots of posts with different advice from different offices of the EU.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Barry martyn » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:20 pm

having just entered spain l followed my wife thru eu passports mine was stamped , however as l passed the brits passing through there passports were digitally checked and l presume recorded mine was not .
so i presume mine will not be checked for dates unless good reason .
Barry martyn

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Bee » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:34 pm

Spanish Immigration seems to be following what was previously advised so Barry once you are accompanying an EU passport holder and not recording the days.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja