Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Plastic Rattan Loungers

Plastic Rattan Loungers

Postby fiesta2 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:00 pm

Hi All. Is this the end if my sun loungers? If anyone knows of an alternative other than throw them I would be most grateful. Been under cover all winter!
fiesta2

Which part of Spain are you from?: la fiesta II

Re: Plastic Rattan Loungers

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:06 pm

Put a decent cushion on it, might last this summer then sling it. Not much can be done and if you found somebody if would probably cost a lot
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby fiesta2 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:16 pm

Thanks Chris. Yes, that's what I thought. Not cheap and they don't last long!
fiesta2

Postby jpeg » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:49 pm

Put some strong sticky tape on the snapped bits
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby carolyn » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:23 pm

I used araldite to stick it hard together, also have some cheap sofa or chair covers from the Chinese shop to cover the fatten then use the cushions on top, so far an extra years use and still going strong.
carolyn

Which part of Spain are you from?: algorfa

Postby Volcano » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:34 pm

Far from being tip fodder. Break away the broken pieces, use a pice of sand paper to rub down the full length of the joint, use a strip of fibreglass and add a brown colour to the resin, cover the whole area damaged and for strength go all around the joint, when dry, sand away any sharp edges. Do the same for all your seats so they match, the repair will out last the rattan.
Volcano

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Graham_Lynn » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:29 pm

I’ve done a few rattan repairs, as they’re quite fiddly until you get the hang of it. But once repaired furniture looks as good as new
If it’s just an odd piece then you can use the heat of something like a soldering iron to fuse the broken bit back on a frame. Fine if it’s the top of a chair or around a table or any place that’s non weight bearing.
Otherwise you can buy a roll of the rattan strip and you just replace the whole broken strip (s) , by weaving the new strip and securing to the end. That’s a permanent fix and it’s as good as new. I did it with a day bed last year, yes it was fiddly but the strip cost me 15€ , the alternate was throwing out a 1500€ piece of furniture. I bought the strip from Amazon, they have loads of colours I didn’t even bother looking to see if anywhere else stocked it.
Don’t stick tape over the broken strip, as you will just weaken the strips around it and give yourself an even bigger problem.
Lynn
Graham_Lynn

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby fiesta2 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:11 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. Might as well give it a go!
fiesta2