Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Plants

Plants

Postby Suzzanne21 » Wed May 03, 2023 4:34 pm

Hi all

Are there any plants other than cactus that will withstand less watering please? I have an area of garden and everything I plant with a flower dies off as I currently don’t have irrigation. I do have the garden watered twice weekly.

Thanks in advance.
Suzzanne21

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Plants

Postby jpeg » Wed May 03, 2023 5:24 pm

Sounds like you need to feed the soil in that area go see a garden centre for advice
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Paul58 » Wed May 03, 2023 9:40 pm

Suzzanne21 wrote:Hi all

Are there any plants other than cactus that will withstand less watering please? I have an area of garden and everything I plant with a flower dies off as I currently don’t have irrigation. I do have the garden watered twice weekly.

Thanks in advance.

Succulents but before you kill them please check your soil. Try a few in pots, along with catci. I've had some success with succulents in pots that have survived while I've been away for a month or two. They tend to flower better when totally dried (dying), or at least mine do!
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Suzzanne21 » Wed May 03, 2023 10:33 pm

Thank you. I think I’ll change the soil as it’s very clay like atm. I think that’s the issue.
Last edited by Suzzanne21 on Thu May 04, 2023 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suzzanne21

Postby Iancorker » Thu May 04, 2023 6:38 am

Take a look at https://www.spain-holiday.com/Spain/art ... s-in-spain
You can also add Oleander and Bougainvillea, but Oleander is poisonous, so be aware and take care if using.
Look at your soil type. Clay soils are good for holding moisture, but when dry can set very hard. Sandy soil has low water holding capacity. Both can be improved by adding organic matter, compost. But try and get peat free. You can also use water holding granulas, basically silica gel. Applying mulch around the plants will improve soil condition and reduce water loss.
Iancorker

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby Mac3blade » Thu May 04, 2023 7:37 am

Why not buy some big white stones and cover the flower bed with them. I did this and placed some large rocks on top of them. I bought solar ( round flat lights) and placed them on the bed. If you want, you could put a few prickly plants into the ground before placing the stones to prevent cats using it as a toilet. I think you’ll love the result.
Be wise, don’t bother planting things that’s are going to give you extra work when the leaves and flowers fall daily. I was sad to see mine go but now far happier.
I don’t know the names of the plants here but something like Mother in Law’s tongue will look striking. ( bought lights online in U.K.)
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Suzzanne21 » Thu May 04, 2023 8:12 am

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. I’ll look into all your ideas. Appreciate it.
Suzzanne21

Postby Chrisdee » Thu May 04, 2023 10:04 am

My friend had a lovely sewage flood because of Oleander roots, so beware. She hadn't had the bushes in the garden for donkey years but the roots were still there and got into the pipework, blocked it and sewage only had one way to go. I still don't understand how the lounge and hallway got flooded as much as it did but it did.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Gustav » Thu May 04, 2023 3:25 pm

Thats called getting your own back in the drainage trade
Gustav

Postby debgreen » Fri May 12, 2023 8:25 am

Hello,

My friend has Lavender in her garden and never waters it.

Deb :)
debgreen

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Next