Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

90/180 day rule

90/180 day rule

Postby sasbambam » Tue May 09, 2023 5:05 pm

Please can anyone explain in the simplest of terms how this works? I understand the 90 day but not how 180 comes in. Where is the starting point and the end?. Is there a definite amount of days between visits that must be adhered to ? I’ve been on the calculation website but still not quite getting it .
It’s as clear as a foggy night!.
sasbambam

Which part of Spain are you from?: benimar

Re: 90/180 day rule

Postby Chrisdee » Tue May 09, 2023 5:17 pm

Search for Re:90/180 day rule
It's all there
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby BNT162b2 » Tue May 09, 2023 5:57 pm

It's simple once you e got your head around it.

As Chrisdee mentioned - this MAY help:

quesada-general-discussion-f9/90-180-day-rule-t64692.html?hilit=Schengen%20calculator - but be aware that the thread DOES start with some confusion and misunderstanding.

The key is to understand that it is 90 days in a ROLLING 180 days...ie. you count back 180 days from your intended "leaving" date, and along as you've been in the Schengen area for 90 days or less in that time period, you're OK.

Day 1 is the day on which you arrive in the Schengen area. If you arrive at 23:59, then that one minute you're in the are still counts as 1 day.

On that subject - I'd be interested to see what happens if a flight lands at 23:30 but you don't get to passport control until 00:01...do the border control officers change the ink stampers at bang-on midnight?!!!

Be aware of some of the websites and apps. I've found at least 2 which don't work properly, as they don't roll the 180 days.

After 30+ years spent in IT, I found it easier to create my own spreadsheet, which does the calculations simply and perfectly.
BNT162b2

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Spud » Tue May 09, 2023 9:19 pm

Another benefit if brexit, thank all those who voted yes
Spud

Postby Kingy0 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:53 pm

There are many apps etc that can work it out for you. I use 90 Days schengen on playstore. Just put the dates in you have been and it works out how many days are left. If like me you want to work out trips in advance to make sure you are not falling foul of the rules then I use the online schengen calculator put all my relevant previous days as well as the ones in the future to make sure I am ok. So I am currently booked up until March 2024. Essentially its as others have described a rolling figure where used days fall off every 180 days.
Kingy0

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby daz » Tue May 09, 2023 10:31 pm

And here’s another version, surely one of them may help you. This one may or may not help you, I know its been explained so many times, but here’s my version.
Imagine 180 marks in a straight line, each representing one day, and the one to the far right is the current day today, all those to the left of it represent one day backwards, a reverse calendar, going back 180 days from now. Working back from today add a red mark against every day u were in Europe. You can use a paper calendar to write on. Now back to the current day, and onwards. As each day passes, If you are in Europe use a red mark, for every day in U.K. use a black mark (the colours aren’t important, just make sure they are different). As each new day breaks, depending on where you are, add either a black or red mark to the front end of the line, current date), and erase the last one off the other (left side) end, constantly leaving 180 marks (days). On each new day, count up the red days in that line of 180. If they total less than 90, say for example 75 red marks counted back along the reverse calendar, then you have 15 days left to come to Europe ( no more than 90). As the days go by, cross one off at the left and add the new day at the right. The totals for each colour will add up differently. Leaving you with the exact amount of days left you can spend in Europe.

Ahh well I tried, I hope this helps you. Happy travels
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby YogiBear39 » Wed May 10, 2023 6:42 am

Spud wrote:Another benefit if brexit, thank all those who voted yes

Blah blah blah
YogiBear39

Which part of Spain are you from?: SWANSEA

Postby Neradd » Wed May 10, 2023 7:22 am

sasbambam wrote:Please can anyone explain in the simplest of terms how this works? I understand the 90 day but not how 180 comes in. Where is the starting point and the end?. Is there a definite amount of days between visits that must be adhered to ? I’ve been on the calculation website but still not quite getting it .
It’s as clear as a foggy night!.

This is the official explanation.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/
Neradd

Which part of Spain are you from?: Marquesa

Postby Neradd » Wed May 10, 2023 7:25 am

Spud wrote:Another benefit if brexit, thank all those who voted yes

Empty Vessels Make the Loudest Sound
Neradd

Which part of Spain are you from?: Marquesa

Postby Ov3rdal3 » Wed May 10, 2023 8:23 am

Its nothing to do with Brexit, its Schengen, which comprises of a number of non EU Countries
Ov3rdal3

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Next