Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Voting in Local Spanish Elections.

Voting in Local Spanish Elections.

Postby wilbhoy67 » Sun May 21, 2023 9:36 am

Hi folks

I've received my voting card for the local elections. However, have a query.

Is the process the exact same as in the UK elections, whereby I place my X beside preferred candidate or;

Is it the same as local elections in EU countries (and Scotland), whereby proportional representation is used by selecting multiple candidates in a 1,2,3 order?

All advice appreciated
Wilbur.
wilbhoy67

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Luis

Re: Voting in Local Spanish Elections.

Postby marcliff » Sun May 21, 2023 9:47 am

No, you don't vote for a candidate in Spain, you vote for a party. You will get a list of all the candidates on a sheet of paper with the name of the party above, such as PP or PSOE or whatever.
There will be two sheets, one white for the local council elections and one an orangey colour for the regional elections. You simply place the sheet in the envelope you want to vote for (making sure the right colour goes in the right envelope which will be the same colours). No need to tick anything off.

You will be asked for your census card and photo ID when you place the envelope in the box.

Proportional Representation (PR) is used and allocated by the largest average method (nope, you'd need to look that one up).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby wilbhoy67 » Sun May 21, 2023 9:51 am

marcliff wrote:No, you don't vote for a candidate in Spain, you vote for a party. You will get a list of all the candidates on a sheet of paper with the name of the party above, such as PP or PSOE or whatever.
There will be two sheets, one white for the local council elections and one an orangey colour for the regional elections. You simply place the sheet in the envelope you want to vote for (making sure the right colour goes in the right envelope which will be the same colours). No need to tick anything off.

You will be asked for your census card and photo ID when you place the envelope in the box.

Fantastic Marcliff. Thank you.
wilbhoy67

Postby Chrisdee » Sun May 21, 2023 10:54 am

It's just deciding who to vote for, I don't really understand enough about the parties, I'm fancying PP ?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Anniep » Sun May 21, 2023 11:36 am

We’ve had someone come round canvassing and then some leaflets through the post. Nit sure yet who to vote for.
Anniep

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu

Postby Martin the artist » Mon May 22, 2023 8:22 am

Chrisdee wrote:It's just deciding who to vote for, I don't really understand enough about the parties, I'm fancying PP ?
You need to see what previous councils have actually done, not just empty promises.
Here in Rojales/Quesada, PP - in my opinion - didn't achieve much except raise money for themselves & wanted to close some of the caves activities etc.
Pader seems popular, but never been in power.
PSOE have had a couple of terms and, although far from perfect, have done an enormous amount of good for the town - cleaning it up; major force in the Recorral park regeneration; creating more jobs/work posts; enriching the fiestas - e.g. inaugurating the Chupinazo (water battle) into the June festivities, more cultural events, promoting the arts at the caves; increased recycling points through the town, tried to get better rubbish collection deals - See how poorly other local towns have done before criticizing ours! - implemented the Linea Verde app (now replaced with Gecor) to report anything and get very quick responses; installed kid's playgrounds, skatepark... etc etc.
So I will be voting PSOE
Last edited by Martin the artist on Mon May 22, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Martin the artist » Mon May 22, 2023 8:27 am

wilbhoy67 wrote:
Is the process the exact same as in the UK elections, whereby I place my X beside preferred candidate
If you make any mark whatsoever on your voting paper, it will be voided.

If you haven't received papers with candidates names on, don't worry, there'll be more at the venue.
You should have received your notification of voting venue etc. if you have registered. (Too late now if you haven't.)
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby wilbhoy67 » Mon May 22, 2023 8:53 am

Thanks Martin. Voting notification received with venue details.
wilbhoy67

Postby Toonlass » Mon May 22, 2023 9:36 am

Thank you everyone who commented that was my question for the ayunamiento this week. Wondered why I had received 2 diff parties envelopes lol
Toonlass

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Willow » Mon May 22, 2023 2:45 pm

Whatever you do don’t put a mark on the list ,,,,anything at all.
Just put the list in the envelope same colour . Mine is ready to go .
I’m voting PP in TORREVIEJA never thought that I would be voting this way but after the mess the other parties made of Torrevieja eight years ago I’d never vote for any of them again
Willow

Next