Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

CHINESE TERRACOTTA ARMY

CHINESE TERRACOTTA ARMY

Postby HPR » Sun May 21, 2023 5:28 pm

Has anyone been to see the exhibition in Alicante MARQ museum? Can you buy tickets at the door or do you have to prepay? Is there parking nearby? Thanks in advance.
HPR

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Re: CHINESE TERRACOTTA ARMY

Postby David Stokes » Sun May 21, 2023 5:52 pm

I haven't been to the exhibition in Alicante yet, but I was lucky enough to visit the warriors on a business trip to China in 1982. They are in Xi'an in central China, the first capital of China. They are dated to 200BC and there are 8,000 of them guarding the tomb of emperor Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor of China. They are life size and amazingly, no two have identical faces.

They are stunning, and I shall definitely be going to see them again.
David Stokes

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Sun May 21, 2023 6:21 pm

Was the little farmer there signing books? He was meant to be the owner of the land where they were found, but I'm not too sure about that. I bought little set of about 6 of them but slung them a couple of months ago, collected too much dust.

David Stokes wrote:I haven't been to the exhibition in Alicante yet, but I was lucky enough to visit the warriors on a business trip to China in 1982. They are in Xi'an in central China, the first capital of China. They are dated to 200BC and there are 8,000 of them guarding the tomb of emperor Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor of China. They are life size and amazingly, no two have identical faces.

They are stunning, and I shall definitely be going to see them again.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby David Stokes » Sun May 21, 2023 6:35 pm

[quote="Chrisdee"]Was the little farmer there signing books? He was meant to be the owner of the land where they were found, but I'm not too sure about that. I bought little set of about 6 of them but slung them a couple of months ago, collected too much dust.

This is an account in Wikipedia :-
The Terracotta Army was discovered on 29 March 1974 by a group of farmers—Yang Zhifa, his five brothers, and neighbour Wang Puzhi—who were digging a well approximately 1.5 km (0.93 mi) east of the Qin Emperor's tomb mound at Mount Li(Lishan),[14][15][16][17] a region riddled with underground springs and watercourses. For centuries, occasional reports mentioned pieces of terracotta figures and fragments of the Qin necropolis – roofing tiles, bricks and chunks of masonry.[18] This discovery prompted Chinese archaeologists, including Zhao Kangmin, to investigate,[19] revealing the largest pottery figurine group ever found.
David Stokes

Postby Mandy&DeanCaddy » Sun May 21, 2023 6:42 pm

Ive tried booking online, and just gone in circles, so I gave up. If anyone can shead any light on booking tickets via your thread, it will be a very helpful read. Good luck :0)
Mandy&DeanCaddy

Postby Bee » Sun May 21, 2023 7:10 pm

We bought tickets at the building on the way in. They are closed Mondays. You might have to wait as only so many are allowed in at the time. You could park in Plaza Mar 2 Commercial centre on Avd Denia and walk across. Free parking for 2hrs.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Manuman55 » Mon May 22, 2023 12:03 am

I have been,a fair number of years before, but we were with a tour group so it was all done for us so I cannot answer your question. The advantage we had for all our pre booked trips was that we didn’t queue and travel around the country was a lot easier, the Chinese are not known for being helpful to individuals unless something has changed. It is an amazing place that takes a few hours to go round. Each of the warriors has been rebuilt as they were all smashed about a year after the Emperor died.
Well worth the a visit.
Manuman55

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby briret » Mon May 22, 2023 6:09 am

https://marqalicante.com/guerreros-de-xi-an/

Here you are - book on line too
briret

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby willemite » Mon May 22, 2023 6:19 am

If anyone hears of a tour company organizing such trips please can they post it. Thank you
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral

Postby Dot » Mon May 22, 2023 8:09 am

Davids tours are doing one
Dot

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo marabu

Next