Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Using an electric bicycle on the road

Re: Using an electric bicycle on the road

Postby telmel » Mon May 22, 2023 3:33 pm

jpeg wrote:https://www.himobikes.com/blogs/news/spanish-e-bike-law

Thanks Fred, according to this you need road tax and insurance ?
Not sure why it went into large font when i copied and pasted

• The speed should be at most 25 km/h.
  • Your bike should be registered for the road tax.
  • .Wearing a helmet while riding is a must.
  • The minimum age to ride an e-bike is 14.
  • The most important thing is the insurance and license to ride the bike.
telmel

Which part of Spain are you from?: orihuela costa

Postby Paul Uden » Mon May 22, 2023 4:06 pm

telmel wrote:

I'm not sure what their definition of an ebike is, but there is no requirement for road tax on the pedal-assist bikes (EAPCs) people generally ride around here. There is also no legal requirement for a license or insurance. Although it is always sensible to wear a helmet, the helmet laws are the same as for ordinary bikes i.e. it depends where you are riding them. If your bike exceeds the EAPC/250W/25kmph criteria I mentioned above then such rules may apply because it is more of a moped than a bike. I don't know.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby telmel » Mon May 22, 2023 5:33 pm

Paul Uden wrote:
telmel wrote:

I'm not sure what their definition of an ebike is, but there is no requirement for road tax on the pedal-assist bikes (EAPCs) people generally ride around here. There is also no legal requirement for a license or insurance. Although it is always sensible to wear a helmet, the helmet laws are the same as for ordinary bikes i.e. it depends where you are riding them. If your bike exceeds the EAPC/250W/25kmph criteria I mentioned above then such rules may apply because it is more of a moped than a bike. I don't know.

This is why i posted this in the first place P as i was confused about exactly what you need to be legal on the road using one
If we are confused about this imagine the Guardia if they stop you
I am sure they would just make the law up as they go along and you would end up with a fine
I suppose the only other way to find out is either to visit the Suma office, the police or call your insurance
But i would worry the insurance would advise you to take out a policy just to drum up business
The licence bit i am not worried about as i have both a car and motorbike licence
telmel

Postby Bee » Mon May 22, 2023 5:41 pm

This gives clarity. The DGT considers e-bikes the same as ordinary pedal bikes. The e-bike must use pedal power and as has been said is limited to 25km per hour whether freewheeling or being pedaled.

Pedal-assisted pedal bicycles, equipped with an auxiliary electric motor, of a maximum continuous rated power less than or equal to 250W, the power of which progressively decreases and which is finally interrupted before the speed of the vehicle reaches 25 km/h or if the cyclist stops pedaling.

The ones that need tax and insurance are speed bikes which are a different category.

What do you need to drive an electric bike?

To drive a pedal-assisted bicycle, you do not need to apply for any permit. This is included in the Clarifying Instruction of the DGT published on May 31, 2019, which, in simple words, indicates the following:

1. The driver does not have to have a driving permit or license.

2. No registration or approval is required. Nor is it compulsory insurance.

3. This is not an “L” rated vehicle like mopeds and two-wheeled motor cycles.

This does not mean that you should not comply with traffic regulations when you move around the city. Our recommendation? Get familiar with traffic signs; respect sidewalks and pedestrian areas; and look up what the specific ordinances in your community say.

In addition -and in compliance with the General Vehicle Regulations- you must check that your pedal-assisted bicycle complies with these conditions:

1. That it has a double braking system, or what is the same, a brake for the front wheel and another for the rear.

2. Bell. If you were thinking of adapting a different sound device, think twice because the standard prohibits it.

3. Position lights, especially if you drive at night or in poor visibility conditions. The front light should be white and the rear light red.

4. Rear marking. Your electric bike must have a red non-triangular reflector. Barcelona City Council also includes the mandatory adaptation of approved reflective elements on the pedals and wheels.

ATTENTION:

The use of a helmet is not mandatory for cyclists over the age of 16 who travel through urban areas. But if you are planning a trip to use your electric on interurban roads, do not leave home without one!

Sanctionable behaviors

The DGT regulations include a series of common behaviors for the entire Spanish territory, which are not allowed and therefore, if committed, are the subject of a complaint.

Alcohol and drugs. Users of electric bicycles have the obligation to submit to alcohol and drug tests, being penalized with the same economic amount as if they were driving another vehicle, in case of exceeding the alcohol rates (500 or €1,000 depending on the rate ) or in the event that drugs are present in the driver's body (€1,000). If the driver tests positive for alcohol or drugs, the electric bicycle will be immobilized, as is the case with other vehicles.

Use of mobile phone. It is totally prohibited to drive using the mobile phone manually or any other communication system.

Headphones. It is prohibited to drive using headphones or headphones connected to receiving or reproducing devices.

Helmet and other protective elements. The use of a helmet is only mandatory on interurban roads and on the highway.

They are prohibited from driving on sidewalks and pedestrian areas.

Reflective clothing or lighting system. If driving at night, the use of lighting, clothing and reflective elements is considered mandatory to be seen by other users of the public highway.

Stops and parking lots. Regarding this issue, the DGT regulations for electric bicycles and other VMPs leave the city councils the power to regulate the stops and parking of these vehicles through municipal ordinances. However, from the DGT it is recommended that it be established that the sidewalk is for pedestrians in order to improve urban mobility.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon May 22, 2023 5:47 pm

( What do you need to drive an electric bike? )
The only thing missing to ride any bike on the road is.........
COMMON SENSE !!
Jabberwocky

Which part of Spain are you from?: Close to Torrevieja

Postby Paul Uden » Mon May 22, 2023 6:18 pm

Bee wrote:This gives clarity. The DGT considers e-bikes the same as ordinary pedal bikes. The e-bike must use pedal power and as has been said is limited to 25km per hour whether freewheeling or being pedaled.

Pedal-assisted pedal bicycles, equipped with an auxiliary electric motor, of a maximum continuous rated power less than or equal to 250W, the power of which progressively decreases and which is finally interrupted before the speed of the vehicle reaches 25 km/h or if the cyclist stops pedaling.

The ones that need tax and insurance are speed bikes which are a different category.

What do you need to drive an electric bike?

To drive a pedal-assisted bicycle, you do not need to apply for any permit. This is included in the Clarifying Instruction of the DGT published on May 31, 2019, which, in simple words, indicates the following:

1. The driver does not have to have a driving permit or license.

2. No registration or approval is required. Nor is it compulsory insurance.

3. This is not an “L” rated vehicle like mopeds and two-wheeled motor cycles.

This does not mean that you should not comply with traffic regulations when you move around the city. Our recommendation? Get familiar with traffic signs; respect sidewalks and pedestrian areas; and look up what the specific ordinances in your community say.

In addition -and in compliance with the General Vehicle Regulations- you must check that your pedal-assisted bicycle complies with these conditions:

1. That it has a double braking system, or what is the same, a brake for the front wheel and another for the rear.

2. Bell. If you were thinking of adapting a different sound device, think twice because the standard prohibits it.

3. Position lights, especially if you drive at night or in poor visibility conditions. The front light should be white and the rear light red.

4. Rear marking. Your electric bike must have a red non-triangular reflector. Barcelona City Council also includes the mandatory adaptation of approved reflective elements on the pedals and wheels.

ATTENTION:

The use of a helmet is not mandatory for cyclists over the age of 16 who travel through urban areas. But if you are planning a trip to use your electric on interurban roads, do not leave home without one!

Sanctionable behaviors

The DGT regulations include a series of common behaviors for the entire Spanish territory, which are not allowed and therefore, if committed, are the subject of a complaint.

Alcohol and drugs. Users of electric bicycles have the obligation to submit to alcohol and drug tests, being penalized with the same economic amount as if they were driving another vehicle, in case of exceeding the alcohol rates (500 or €1,000 depending on the rate ) or in the event that drugs are present in the driver's body (€1,000). If the driver tests positive for alcohol or drugs, the electric bicycle will be immobilized, as is the case with other vehicles.

Use of mobile phone. It is totally prohibited to drive using the mobile phone manually or any other communication system.

Headphones. It is prohibited to drive using headphones or headphones connected to receiving or reproducing devices.

Helmet and other protective elements. The use of a helmet is only mandatory on interurban roads and on the highway.

They are prohibited from driving on sidewalks and pedestrian areas.

Reflective clothing or lighting system. If driving at night, the use of lighting, clothing and reflective elements is considered mandatory to be seen by other users of the public highway.

Stops and parking lots. Regarding this issue, the DGT regulations for electric bicycles and other VMPs leave the city councils the power to regulate the stops and parking of these vehicles through municipal ordinances. However, from the DGT it is recommended that it be established that the sidewalk is for pedestrians in order to improve urban mobility.

Bee

That is the definitive answer telmel. Thank you Bee.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby telmel » Mon May 22, 2023 6:30 pm

Yes thank you B
At least we now know there should not be a problem with the E bikes , providing they do not exceed the power stated
Not something the Guardia could discern by observation only , only if you were exceeding certain speed limits
telmel

Postby Gustav » Tue May 23, 2023 6:07 am

How do electric bikes operate in wet weather?
Good or bad?
Seen loads of e bikers and cyclists useing earphones/ mobiles whilst cycling but in Bees posts it states its illegal to do so, surely that must interfer with concentration levels when cycling,
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Bee » Tue May 23, 2023 9:12 am

Exactly Gustav. What rules!!! It always amuses me when they add to the existing rules as nobody abides by the original ones anyway. The e-scooter drivers are the worst offenders. Every now and then the Policia have a day when they stop and fine a few of them for using the phone or not wearing a helmet.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby telmel » Tue May 23, 2023 9:38 am

Bee wrote:Exactly Gustav. What rules!!! It always amuses me when they add to the existing rules as nobody abides by the original ones anyway. The e-scooter drivers are the worst offenders. Every now and then the Policia have a day when they stop and fine a few of them for using the phone or not wearing a helmet.

Bee

There were two passing our house on the road a few nights ago late at night with flashing LED glasses in shorts and teashirt, going the wrong way , obviously they had been to the pub
telmel

PreviousNext