Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

BBC HD Reception

Re: BBC HD Reception

Postby marcliff » Sat May 27, 2023 1:45 pm

shap wrote:I have a Humax freesat box and a 1.4m dish. I suspect the dish is not big enough now. Strange thing is when I returned to Spain last week BBC was only pixilated at times and I was able to record. In trying to improve it with an automatic re-scan, it wiped out BBC altogether. Even changing postcode to London instead of North east there was nothing, yet earlier on BBC London I could pick up something. In desperation tried a manual re scan and all the channels were numbered 5000 + and got some very broken pixilated BBC and no programmes showing up on the Guide to see what's on. Did automatic re-scan again and at least I can get non HD stations with their correct numbers, All a mystery.

That's because you scanned using STB (Set Top Box?) mode instead of Freesat. It picks up all the channels on Astra and not just the Freesat ones. No programme guide and not postcode dependent.

You need to start again. I use an East Midland postcode and get all channels on Freesat except CH4 HD which has moved channels. Scan Freesat first. Then, under settings, go to STB and scan again.
You will now have both modes.

I use STB for CH4 on 5000 and, if BBC1 HD pixelates, I use STB 5030 for it.
ITV1 has the HD on 101 and SD on 111 so that's easy.

To change to STB, go to settings and select STB. When you exit that you will get "Go to Freesat" and then you have the programme guide and channels will start at 101 and only have Freesat channels.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Paul Uden » Sat May 27, 2023 4:44 pm

marcliff wrote:
shap wrote:I have a Humax freesat box and a 1.4m dish. I suspect the dish is not big enough now. Strange thing is when I returned to Spain last week BBC was only pixilated at times and I was able to record. In trying to improve it with an automatic re-scan, it wiped out BBC altogether. Even changing postcode to London instead of North east there was nothing, yet earlier on BBC London I could pick up something. In desperation tried a manual re scan and all the channels were numbered 5000 + and got some very broken pixilated BBC and no programmes showing up on the Guide to see what's on. Did automatic re-scan again and at least I can get non HD stations with their correct numbers, All a mystery.

That's because you scanned using STB (Set Top Box?) mode instead of Freesat. It picks up all the channels on Astra and not just the Freesat ones. No programme guide and not postcode dependent.

You need to start again. I use an East Midland postcode and get all channels on Freesat except CH4 HD which has moved channels. Scan Freesat first. Then, under settings, go to STB and scan again.
You will now have both modes.

I use STB for CH4 on 5000 and, if BBC1 HD pixelates, I use STB 5030 for it.
ITV1 has the HD on 101 and SD on 111 so that's easy.

To change to STB, go to settings and select STB. When you exit that you will get "Go to Freesat" and then you have the programme guide and channels will start at 101 and only have Freesat channels.

There's a video on how to do that here if it helps anybody: https://youtu.be/1-BoAze4U0c
Last edited by Paul Uden on Sun May 28, 2023 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Darro » Sat May 27, 2023 7:34 pm

Mac3blade wrote:It’s the only way to go. Cable TV.

A Firestick is not cable TV, it's IPTV!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby shap » Sun May 28, 2023 8:04 am

Thanks to all for your replies. So is anyone picking up BBC HD on a 1.4 dish?
Incidentally the video link on Youtube, you suggested Paul, is about prostate? https://youtu.be/4ySiOhdstm0
shap

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Paul Uden » Sun May 28, 2023 8:09 am

shap wrote:Thanks to all for your replies. So is anyone picking up BBC HD on a 1.4 dish?
Incidentally the video link on Youtube, you suggested Paul, is about prostate? https://youtu.be/4ySiOhdstm0

Sorry! No idea how that happened! Retry: https://youtu.be/1-BoAze4U0c I've edited the original post too. You may get an ad first, but you can skip it after a few seconds. It's on the channel of Sat TV Guy if this doesn't work.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby The Accountant » Sun May 28, 2023 11:48 am

shap wrote:Thanks to all for your replies. So is anyone picking up BBC HD on a 1.4 dish?

I get BBC 1 HD East on a 1.4 dish. Mostly reception is good, but the past few days we have had some freezing and pixilating. I put that down to the weird weather of late.
The Accountant

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby shap » Mon May 29, 2023 7:36 am

Thank you so much to all for your help and advice. As The Accountant suggested I re scanned with an East midlands postcode and have had some success. BBC now available this morning hopefully this will continue without pixilation when the weather improves.
shap

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Previous