Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

BBC HD Reception

BBC HD Reception

Postby shap » Thu May 25, 2023 8:52 am

Just returned to our holiday home and finding that there is poor to no reception on the BBC channels. I know they have all gone HD and presumably a weaker signal but is it the poor weather that is causing this or will this be an ongoing problem here in Spain. I have a satellite dish which has always proved ok except in very stormy weather.
shap

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Re: BBC HD Reception

Postby 2Sheds » Thu May 25, 2023 10:09 am

I'm in the same boat with a 1.4m dish. If anyone knows an engineer that can be bothered and has the patience to finely adjust a satellite dish, I'd be interested to know. My experience with the ones recommended on here is that they are not particularly interested. Their standard response is 'buy a bigger dish or get iptv'. So they don't even try to improve what I've got. I paid €60 callout just to get this advice.
2Sheds

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu May 25, 2023 10:29 am

Try and do a re-scan first on sat box.
Jabberwocky

Which part of Spain are you from?: Close to Torrevieja

Postby jpeg » Thu May 25, 2023 11:18 am

rescan needed BBC HD on channel 101 is great signal now
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Paul Uden » Thu May 25, 2023 12:36 pm

I too have a 1.4m dish which has worked fine for years. We have HD boxes (one Humax, one Bush) which update automatically and I have also reset and updated manually. However, we no longer get BBC. Fortunately we have an excellent IPTV system and only use the dish system as a back up now. I am wondering whether to dismantle it and finally get rid, but if anyone can recommend someone who has been able to fix theirs I would also be interested to hear.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby 2Sheds » Thu May 25, 2023 1:23 pm

I had my LNB replaced with a supposedly better one. It seemed to make things worse on my Free To air box. The enginner is coming back to hopefully fix it. I'll let you know how things go.
As for IPTV, although it's becoming the norm over here I'm wondering what happens when (if) the authorities clamp down on it.
Bit like the illegal TV re-broadcasts that were shut down over 10 years ago.
2Sheds

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby jetmender » Thu May 25, 2023 1:32 pm

I had the same problem yesterday with the cloud and rain,no BBC programs at all.Today is normal.How long does the LNB remain serviceable,mine must be over ten years.Info would be helpful.
jetmender

Which part of Spain are you from?: los montesinos

Postby telmel » Thu May 25, 2023 1:46 pm

jetmender wrote:I had the same problem yesterday with the cloud and rain,no BBC programs at all.Today is normal.How long does the LNB remain serviceable,mine must be over ten years.Info would be helpful.

My twin LNB is over 10 years old on my 1.9 dish
The only problems i have had is with the cables going from it to my two tvs
I had one replaced a few years ago as it disintegrated in places and the other i replaced myself about two years ago
The plastic film covering the LNB eye also disintegrated a few years ago so i taped over it with clear tape but that eventually came off, but it is still working ok , i might just get the occasional spider nesting inside which i keep an eye on
I got the dish second hand and an ex engineer and forum member installed it for me about 2008 and i concreted it in on my roof terrace
Even with the high winds and strong rain we have had over the years it has lasted well and not moved
I get a great signal most of the time but as you mentioned occasionally lose it for a short time with heavy storms
I am very happy with it and it has saved me a lot of money i could have shelled out on pay tv through an internet company
telmel

Which part of Spain are you from?: orihuela costa

Postby Singer » Thu May 25, 2023 4:38 pm

It's fine for us as long as we don't need a specific area like say BBC Wales or whatever.

We just troll through the BBC HD channels until we find the best with our 1.9 dish.

Currently we find South East works well at lunch time and Y&L works fine at 6 o'clock. A couple of weeks ago the selection had to be different.

Of course that's our house in our Quesada street. Could be different elsewhere.
Singer

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby jpeg » Thu May 25, 2023 4:53 pm

Would be a good idea to change the LNB for one of the new models I changed mine for a HD 4 socket version and it made a tremendous diferrence has no problem pulling in all the HD chanels they are only around 12 euros on Amazon
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Next