Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Waterproof Toldos

Waterproof Toldos

Postby Mac3blade » Tue May 30, 2023 7:46 am

Our original awning was a far better quality than the one we replaced it with some years ago. I’m wondering if there are varying qualities available when replacing. The rain comes through it and doesn’t save the furniture below.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Re: Waterproof Toldos

Postby Chrisdee » Tue May 30, 2023 9:32 am

When it's rainy and windy you shouldn't really leave them open as they can buckle.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Trevor52 » Tue May 30, 2023 9:54 am

In answer to your question about waterproof toldos. None of the fabric covers are waterproof. The quality made to measure toldos will withstand some rain but not the deluges we often get. If you want waterproof covers then you need to replace with vinyl fabric as used on carports and the roofs of bars and restaurants.
Trevor52

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada 2

Postby Paul58 » Tue May 30, 2023 1:50 pm

Mac3blade wrote:Our original awning was a far better quality than the one we replaced it with some years ago. I’m wondering if there are varying qualities available when replacing. The rain comes through it and doesn’t save the furniture below.

Try Fabsil waterproofer or equivalent. https://www.fabsil.com/

It's used for tents and relatively easy to apply.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby nnejy » Tue May 30, 2023 2:58 pm

If you look on youtube you will find quite a few videos on how to create your own waterproofing liquid that seems to work. So re-painting the one you have is a possibility.

The only downside is that you need to get hold of a product (or something like it) called Naphtha which is flammable. I think it might be the main component in cigarette lighter fluid? It is mixed with silicone and it seems to work. These are the only two ingredients. No-one in the videos mentioned it's flammable, but after it's dried? I really don't know. Seems to work (so they say)

I should really do a search on these video posters to see if they still exist. For all we know they might be lying somewhere in the US imitating an overcooked crisp. Dry and showing no signs of the inclement weather, but crisp nonetheless.

Meh
nnejy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Gasgit » Tue May 30, 2023 3:41 pm

Tried those liquids useless, only thing that stops this rain is Neoprene like bars have expensive though
Gasgit

Which part of Spain are you from?: Playa Flamenca

Postby Mac3blade » Tue May 30, 2023 4:20 pm

I’m impressed by your answers. I shall wait until we’re back again in September and investigate. I’d genuinely like it to be waterproof. If it rained, the awning could be pulled over and the party would continue. I’d keep the side part as it’s only been rarely used and once lowered would provide more protection. Yes, a waterproof awning is the way to go.
Thanks everyone.
Mac3blade

Postby nnejy » Tue May 30, 2023 4:56 pm

We had a toldos on our solarium. The problem was that when it got windy it was really bad. It rattled like a snake and it wasn't totally waterproof. We did solve the problem.

We went back to the guys that sold us the toldos and enquired about a panel sandwich roof. So now we have an awning with a panel sandwich on top. It didn't seem to make sense to take the top part of the toldos off so we left it there. Our logic was, if it gets really, really hot we could pull it across inside to act as a double insulation layer. We haven't had to use it though because the panel sandwich layer is perfect. I would highly recommend getting someone to install a roof of this type. I don't know why we didn't think of this when it was installed.

If you are curious to know about panel sandwich there are loads and loads of manufacturers on facebook. You can have it in any colour you want. We just had another one fitted on top of a pergola in our new house and it's great. We had it with a wood effect on the inside so that it looks good against the wood beams. If ever you would like to come see just let me know. The house is still like a building site, but I think you might get the idea xx
nnejy

Postby Mac3blade » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:17 am

Hola Nnnnj
Your idea sounds perfect. I’d like to keep the yellow and white stipe and have what you suggest put above it
In reality, I’d like to feel that my table and chairs ( cushions) would be bone dry after a rain storm. Carrying 12 big cushions plus 6 scatter cushions into the house is a chore and takes up so much room. I don’t want to put a shed on the patio as I have plants and flowers in pots along with a large coffee table and stools so running out of space.
Thank you for your generous offer. Perhaps a photo woul show everyone the concept.
Cheers and best wishes. R
Mac3blade

Postby nnejy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:44 pm

Sorry about this, but I don't have any clear photos of the toldos but this one might help?

If you look closely, you will see a white panel sandwich roof. Underneath it is the pull out awning, which we feel didn't really work for us (rattling and not fully waterproof).

We had the panel sandwich layer put on top to make it fully waterproof. Sods law operates though. Most of the rain comes in sideways LOL. Hence, I would use a protective waterproof cover as well if I were you?

At the new house we have just had a pergola made. The top is also a panel sandwich, with brown on the inside made to look like imitation wood. The beams run underneath the panel sandwich and it doesn't look too bad.

I will post a photo or two of the new structure once it's completed.

12b Handmade interlocking mandalas.jpeg
Toldos in the old house (now rented out)
nnejy

Next