Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

S1 application

S1 application

Postby ManditaR1971 » Tue May 30, 2023 11:57 am

Hi All - We have got the letter from NHS and completed a Spanish application form for S1. However, while I have my TIE card, my husband doesn’t have it yet Hugh he does have the stamped letter which confirms he is waiting for it. My question is, when applying for S1 online, does my husband have to have the physical TIE card or is it enough to submit the stamped letter confirming it has been applied for?
ManditaR1971

Re: S1 application

Postby Graham_Lynn » Tue May 30, 2023 1:12 pm

Reading through your question, I’m not sure if you are applying for an S1 or asking about registering it at INSS.
To apply for his TIE he would need proof of healthcare which can be either private health insurance or an S1. So in that case he applies for that as part of the visa application prior to applying for a TIE.
The S1 is just proof that he is eligible for Spanish healthcare, it has to be registered before you can actually obtain any healthcare.
To register an S1 INSS require the actual TIE passport and padron. So wait until you have collected the card, before you try and make the appointment at INSS.

Should you require medical treatment in the meantime, you should still be able to obtain treatment via your GHIC/EHIC. Although some health centres may register you temporarily, (with the documents you hold) if treatment is required but, that is entirely dependent on which way the wind is blowing that day and you’d still have to go through the proper channels at the end of the day anyway.

I’d recommend the use of a gestor to do your application at INSS, they seem to have the magic touch in obtaining appointments.

Lynn
Graham_Lynn

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby Darro » Tue May 30, 2023 4:11 pm

Your post is confusing as if entitled to a UK S1 then applying for it does not involve filling in any Spanish forms whatsoever.

I wonder if by "the letter from NHS" you mean the one confirming that you are not entitled to health cover from UK which you would need if applying to join the Spanish system?
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby ManditaR1971 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:46 pm

Hi - yeh, sorry for the confusion. However, the comment “ To register an S1 INSS require the actual TIE passport and padron. So wait until you have collected the card, before you try and make the appointment at INSS” is the one I am really interested in. We both had to prove we had private healthcare in place to be able to obtain our visas, but when applying for our TIE, no proof of that was required (probably because we did that for our NLV). I read somewhere that if you did not have the TIE card yet, you could simply produce the letter given with the stamp on it that proves you have applied, to the INSS - but elsewhere, it is stated you must already have the TIE card. Your comments have really helped, thank you
ManditaR1971

Postby Paul Uden » Tue May 30, 2023 9:20 pm

My wife got hers recently. She has a TIE and already had a SIP as my dependent. However, to get the SIP in her own right with the S1 she paid One Way Services €25 to sort it out for her. I thought that was well worth it. It took 4 or 5 months to come, but she didn't have to attend any appointments so I had assumed it was an online process. Or perhaps they were able to attend an appointment on her behalf, in which case it's even better value for money than I thought.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby ManditaR1971 » Tue May 30, 2023 9:39 pm

Thanks for the info Paul - good to know
ManditaR1971

Postby Darro » Wed May 31, 2023 7:42 am

Clear now but this being Spain where many rules are made to be interpreted rather than followed I'm not sure anyone can conclusively answer your question and you may just have to go to your INSS office and see what happens.

Nothing to lose by giving it a go!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby DaveP » Wed May 31, 2023 9:40 am

I had my S! some 9 years ago and the letter said in 3 places that I am entitled to the same health care as I had before when in the UK. When visiting the UK I had to show this letter to my local doctor surgery as proof of entitlement as they had archived my records. I got what I needed at the time. The system may well have changed since Brexit.
DaveP

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills