Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Chopping down trees behind my house

Chopping down trees behind my house

Postby Volcano » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:05 pm

So once again the trees that bloom yellow balls full of pollen have in 14 months grown to over 3.5 metres, an area of 15 metres by 25 metres had over 28 plants growing, some were even growing out of my back wall. Back in 2019 my caretaker and I copped them down, 14 months ago I employed a gardener and on Tuesday the gardener came again and could not believe the growth.
So this land behind my house is not cared for by Rojales council, however in 2019 the urbanisation president at the houses behind me some 100 meters away, complained and the council wrote to me, I wrote back and finally the council said the land belongs to no one, so as long as I remove my cuttings so they don’t create a fire risk, I am free to cut them down. Has anyone else had a similar problem.?
The letter authorising me to do this tree removal is with my other estate deeds and property documents in the UK, but on checking with the council they do keep copies for many, many years so I can get a copy. I have received a complaint from a property owner in the urbanisation. I have referred him to his president who will have copies of their correspondence. I invited them around to talk, but I st8ll think he’s not satisfied. I have passed all the details to my lawyer who seems very bemused that anyone would complain over land they don’t own. But I suppose it’s food for the lawyers. I’ll let you know what happens. But as I say has anyone else gone through this sort of issue.
Volcano

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Chopping down trees behind my house

Postby Bee » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:42 pm

If you are maintaining the land and there is no owner then why don't you claim it and register it under Adverse Possession. Squatters are doing it all the time.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Gustav » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:26 pm

Just go to your local land registry office to find out who really owns it and denonce them, if no information on who owns it , do as Bee says and claim it, register to your self then your free to do as you wish.
Which area is this please?
Is there access to it from a public road or sidewalk.
Gustav

Postby Volcano » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:03 pm

Gustav wrote:Just go to your local land registry office to find out who really owns it and denonce them, if no information on who owns it , do as Bee says and claim it, register to your self then your free to do as you wish.
Which area is this please?
Is there access to it from a public road or sidewalk.

There is no vehicle or sidewalk/path on to the land, it is a steep hill 1 in 1 to 1 in 1.5. I’ll take Bees advice and see if I can claim the 20 metres that runs behind my house. If I fail, I’ll publish its whereabouts then.
Volcano

Postby Gustav » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:10 pm

Ah well, steep slope you say, the trees could well be holding the land in postion , to prevent land slip,
Personally I would trim trees down to a acceptable height, and let the roots hold the land in position.
Gustav

Postby Volcano » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:34 pm

Gustav wrote:Ah well, steep slope you say, the trees could well be holding the land in postion , to prevent land slip,
Personally I would trim trees down to an acceptable height, and let the roots hold the land in position.

Strangely that’s exactly what our gardener is doing, he cuts the trees to the base of the trunk and they grow back over a year. Leaving the root ball in place, the land is very solid and does not move, which is good news.
Personally I think it would be better if the roots were removed and no trees grew, you will notice around tree root balls in other damper countries that the ground generally is broken up by the growth of the trees making land unstable, you can see how the roots of these plants can ruin patios and walls, by their swift growth, but for now chopping them down is stopping the damage to my wall and patio and while the council is happy to allow me to chop them down and it gives the gardener a income I’ll just continue doing what I’m doing year in year out..
Volcano

Postby Beaglepup » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:11 am

My understanding is , that any trees cut down , must be taken away. and not left on the area that is cut down .
As debris left , dries out in the sun , and a potential fire risk .
Beaglepup

Postby Rish » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:28 pm

Had this problem
Cut the trunk down to about a foot from the ground drill into the top of the stump and pour a strong weedkiller into the holes then block the holes this will kill the root's
Rish

Which part of Spain are you from?: Atalaya