Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Taxes on Crown pensions?

Taxes on Crown pensions?

Postby rainbow54 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:36 pm

Does anyone know if the Crown pensions are still recognised by the Spanish tax authorities? Before Brexit there was a section in the tax return where a Crown pension was assessed by both Spain and the UK 50% each. Last year I wasn’t able to find this section. Can anyone help me with this?
rainbow54

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Taxes on Crown pensions?

Postby marcliff » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:46 pm

Don't know where you got the 50% each from but Crown pensions have never been taxable in Spain and still aren't.
The only thing that changed, in 2014, was that Crown pensions were never even declared as income. Since then they are declared in Spain to assess the tax level you will be charged with and counts towards your tax allowances.

But the pension is wholly taxed at source in UK. It now goes in a box (can't remember the number as I have had someone do it for me since my income became complicated) for non taxable income or some such.

This is the list of pensions in UK which are, or are not, taxed in Spain
Pensions
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Re: Taxes on Crown pensions?

Postby rainbow54 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:12 pm

marcliff wrote:Don't know where you got the 50% each from but Crown pensions have never been taxable in Spain and still aren't.
The only thing that changed, in 2014, was that Crown pensions were never even declared as income. Since then they are declared in Spain to assess the tax level you will be charged with and counts towards your tax allowances.

But the pension is wholly taxed at source in UK. It now goes in a box (can't remember the number as I have had someone do it for me since my income became complicated) for non taxable income or some such.

This is the list of pensions in UK which are, or are not, taxed in Spain
Pensions

Hi Marcliff
Thank you for your reply.

I may have been mixing it up. I thought it had something to do with a double taxation agreement.

Hopefully someone else might know the box number.
rainbow54

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada