Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Solarium retile

Solarium retile

Postby Raspberry Blower » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:41 pm

Hello, having viewed a bungalow the agent arranged for a quote to have the solarium retiled.
The area is 33sqm and the quote came in at
1800€ inc tax and an allowance of 10€ per sqm for tiles. This was to tile over the existing.
Is this about right and has anyone any idea of the expected cost to lift the existing, renew the membrane and retile.
We're due to complete by end of June and want to make sure that quote is realistic.
Thanks in advance
Raspberry Blower

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quasada

Re: Solarium retile

Postby pete25 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:04 am

do not tile over tiles as this is a quick solution but will not prevent water ingress in future
go for a full removal and replacement of membrane and you will have 40yrs of peace if done correctly
call Sergio for a quote hes done mine and several neighbours
pete25

Which part of Spain are you from?: torrevieja

Postby Mac3blade » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:47 am

If you plan to remove the original tiles, be prepared to pay quite a bit more. You’ll need to pay for the hire of a skip. The tiler will charge for the extra time and work. I reckon it could be done for less than €2,500.
I base this on our patio of 26sq meters. To remove tiles, hire a skip and all the adhesives/ grouts and tiles, we were quoted €2.200.

As you are planning to work on the solarium, I’d do the job properly and start from scratch. It’ll be money well spent. Good luck.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby XieJiaWei » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:38 pm

:text-goodpost:
Mac3blade wrote:If you plan to remove the original tiles, be prepared to pay quite a bit more. You’ll need to pay for the hire of a skip. The tiler will charge for the extra time and work. I reckon it could be done for less than €2,500.
I base this on our patio of 26sq meters. To remove tiles, hire a skip and all the adhesives/ grouts and tiles, we were quoted €2.200.

As you are planning to work on the solarium, I’d do the job properly and start from scratch. It’ll be money well spent. Good luck.
XieJiaWei

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby XieJiaWei » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:40 pm

I quote from experience. Didn't know the previous owner had tiled over tiles on our upstairs balcony. It slowly led to a lot of damage.
XieJiaWei

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby Raspberry Blower » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:31 pm

Mac3blade wrote:If you plan to remove the original tiles, be prepared to pay quite a bit more. You’ll need to pay for the hire of a skip. The tiler will charge for the extra time and work. I reckon it could be done for less than €2,500.

We've just been quoted
3800€ + 30% if we want an invoice
Raspberry Blower

Postby Mac3blade » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:38 pm

Looks like we’ve good a good deal. The cost of everything over here has gone through the roof!
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby telmel » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:05 pm

Mac3blade wrote:Looks like we’ve good a good deal. The cost of everything over here has gone through the roof!

On a serious note i made that mistake , had a tile over tile and now i have a small leak in the living room when it rains heavily
To rip up the new tiles and the old underneath to replace the old membrane would cost more than i can imagine , so i will have to make a temporary repair with waterproof paint .I know the small area where it is coming in and will paint this, i think it gets in through the grouting . I have artificial grass laid over half of the roof terrace so at least this will cover the painted area
At present i have a tarpaulin over the area and it has kept the ceiling dry until i get around to painting
Not ideal i know but a lesson to anyone else thinking to cut corners
telmel

Which part of Spain are you from?: orihuela costa

Postby Paul58 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:14 pm

Raspberry Blower wrote:Hello, having viewed a bungalow the agent arranged for a quote to have the solarium retiled.
The area is 33sqm and the quote came in at
1800€ inc tax and an allowance of 10€ per sqm for tiles. This was to tile over the existing.
Is this about right and has anyone any idea of the expected cost to lift the existing, renew the membrane and retile.
We're due to complete by end of June and want to make sure that quote is realistic.
Thanks in advance

Now that you've got a couple of quotes you need to decide if the membrane actually needs renewing.

Is the solarium leaking? Are the existing tiles and grout in good condition?

Depending on when the property was built you may find that the membrane is a thick layer of rubber underneath a cement screed with the tiles fixed on top. This is what I found when I lifted a section of our solarium built in 2007. The rubber was in good condition as it hadn't been subjected to sunlight. The tiles had become loose due to the grout failing and the cement screed getting soaked. I just re-screeded the affected area and refixed the tiles using a good quality flexible, frost resistant, adhesive.

If it's just a cosmetic change that your lookng for then you can tile over the existing tiles as long as they're fiexed down OK and you use a decent primer. Also check doors/drains are OK with increased depth of tile.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Raspberry Blower » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:49 pm

The property is around 20 years old, on viewing the property there is historic leak damage in a bedroom. The area of solarium above shows hairline cracks in the tiles. These have been repaired and there is no sign of recent leakage. Before making an offer we had a quote through the selling agent but this was to tile over the top. We would rather lift the old and start again, at least we know it would last a few years. This is especially important as the whole bungalow needs updating and we want to ensure the roof keeps the rain out before we set about the other bits.
I've just received a quote of 3800€ but that's cash and they want an extra 30% if we want an invoice. Is that correct, I thought tax was around 21%. We would want it done properly so not going the cash route.
Raspberry Blower

Next