Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Theft on card

Theft on card

Postby tabbybob » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:54 pm

my La Caixa debit card has been used in another country (canada) to make purchases. I will speak with the bank tomorrow, but nearly 1000euros has been spent before I've been able to block the card. The card being a debit card not a credit -do I stand any chance of La Caixa giving me my money back or have Ilost this?

thanks
tabbybob

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Theft on card

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:59 pm

Only the bank can help you
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby ryanpd » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:01 pm

As Chrisdee said you need to contact the bank ASAP. Website states you have protection and there is a dedicated number for this. Hope you get it sorted.

https://www.caixabank.es/particular/hol ... ct_en.html
ryanpd

Postby marcliff » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:57 pm

u
Last edited by marcliff on Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:59 pm

It's a debit card that's been used

marcliff wrote:Credit cards normally provided by Visa or Mastercard and are protected. The bank will probably contact the issuer to sort it.
Unusual as, if I spend over a couple of hundred euro on a purchase, Caixa sends me an alert.
Chrisdee

Postby marcliff » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:34 pm

The eyes ain't what they used to be.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby timeflies 1950 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:21 am

I am with Caixa bank & had 600 euros stolen last year from someone using our debit card in France, our very helpful bank advisor Noelia managed to refund us the monies after we went to the Guardia Civil headquarters in Torrevieja town centre to obtain a full statement from them, unfortunately you will need to expect at least two hours for this operation, the whole procedure took about a week before we were recompensed. Good luck.
timeflies 1950

Postby Darro » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:09 am

Maybe my imagination but Caxia seem to figure in such cases quite frequently.

Someone in America tried to make a string of online purchases with the wife's debit card details last year but Caxia blocked them. We blocked and cancelled the card and got a new one.

I have a second A/C with Caxia and I keep most of my money in that just transferring to my normal debit card A/C what I need and when I need it

In the app I can transfer between accounts instantly so there is rarely any need for the to be more than a couple of hundred or so in the main A/C so that's the potential limit for any attempted fraudulent transactions.

The second A/C costs nothing.

Not sure of the trigger level but I get alerts for far less than the couple of hundred marcliff mentions!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Volcano » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:26 pm

It’s rife.. my Uk credit card was used during late May/early June, spending over £975.00 I was in Spain from 1st May. I got a email from Santander select saying unusual use and to call a phone number I did not recognise, I ignored the email, 4 days later a similar email, is I called the 0330 number in the back of my credit card, a different number than the one on the email, only to find out both were genuine emails from Santander, anyway, they cancelled my card, I made them close the whole credit card account, pay the ferry costs to Brittany Ferries, and they froze all payments. That cut off my regular payments for Cloud services and internet services to my Motorhome and all other regular payments, but it secured my credit card account, the scammer/card theft person, tested the card with £0.01p payments then bought train tickets From Morpeth in T&W UK, who ever it was deeply in love, the begger bought flowers for their lover too!, so I want the police to look for a fat ugly bloke, carrying a big bunch of Roses on a train from Morpeth to Newcastle, probably had a hair cut, wearing a 1960s grubby suit.. joking aside, if you get a mail or text, immediately contact your bank, don’t wait, even if it looks like a scam, you have a number on the back of your credit card and debit card. I have a credit limit of £20,000 it could have been very costly. So having your card stopped is inconvenient, but not the end of the world. I hope you get refunded, my bank says it’s obviously a cloned card so I won’t lose any money, they are investigating how it’s happened.. I’m back in the UK and I’ve ordered new cards and new pins.
Volcano

Postby Darro » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:25 pm

Card details, including the all important CVV number, can really only be gotten from data breaches within companies or sellers you have previously dealt with.

Within the Caxia app you can have virtual card which is intended for use with sellers you don't know or are unsure of and its details are only valid for that particular transaction so cannot be cloned, Wise have similar.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Next