Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Feeding of feral cats

Re: Feeding of feral cats

Postby David Stokes » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:27 pm

Gustav wrote:
David Stokes wrote:Yesterday a kitchen was sitting on our wall with a neighbour, and our dog got hold of it and the mother cat came along to help it's young one. I had a hell of a job to get hold of and protect the dog in a difficult place to get at. The cats meant business and I was scared they would scratch the dogs eyes, possibly blinding her.

Cats wandering around the roads and coming into gardens are a menace to dog owners. You dare not let your dog sniff in bushes along the road in case a cat is lurking.

Feeding feral cats is illegal, and rightly so. Why can cat owners let their cats roam anywhere without sanction. If I let my dog roam the roads I would be fined €200 a time, and the same if she were not chipped. Why do we have to put up with roaming cats un-chipped cats where there is no sanction?

I emphasise, I am an animal lover, I would not hurt any animal, including cats, but I want them controlled. To balance this I should add that similarly, I get very annoyed when I see people in the El Recorral park with dogs not on leads, and the same along the roads.

Why did you let your dog get hold of the kitten, is it a vicous dog?
Prehaps people should control there dogs!

My dog is totally under control in public, and is not aggressive, unlike most cats which are not under any control. My problem was that the kitten was in a location behind large bushes and difficult for me to get to .Like most dogs she does not want cats in her own garden - cats and dogs generally do not get along unless living together.
David Stokes

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Mickey Braw » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:55 pm

These feral cats can be very dangerous. Some years ago a neighbour of mine was walking his dog past an empty property up near Aeropuerto and two feral cats attacked his small dog. He attempted to pick his dog up and one of the cats went for my neighbours face and neck, causing him to fall over and hit the kerb. His back was broken. After months in hospital he was discharged and spent what turned out to be the last days of his life in a brace. A lovely, previously fit man had his life ruined, his dog killed by these wild cats.
Be careful!!
Mickey Braw

Postby Gustav » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:44 pm

Most unusual, feral cats are thin and boney and shy away from danger in order to protect themselves from predators,
Gustav

Postby David Stokes » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:07 pm

Gustav wrote:Most unusual, feral cats are thin and boney and shy away from danger in order to protect themselves from predators,

Rubbish, many of them are bigger than domestic cats and very violent. I had one really go for my previous dog near the golf course. By definition, feral means wild, and as such their place is in the wild , not being fed in a residential area.
David Stokes

Postby Gustav » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:33 pm

We both have different views
Fair enough,
Theres dog people
&
Cat people,
Gustav

Postby Volcano » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:46 pm

I was in Turkey a few years ago, it was a few weeks before their holiday season started. a few dogs were snarling at my wife and I, for safety we took refuge in a shop, the shop owner told us that the dogs were agitated because the authorities were rounding them up and shooting them, something they did every year, when we got home we were awoken early the next morning with what sounded like shotguns going off, we found out they culled 150 Canadian geese on the lake and bird sanctuary where we live. Maybe the same should be enacted for all these feral cats! Personally I don’t mind people having animals as long as they don’t bring them near me. I can’t do with their smell or the smell of peoples houses with animals, I also can’t stand dogs jumping up on me or trying to be friendly, nor cats. And I walk out of restaurants that allow animals inside. Thankfully many won’t allow it in or out. It’s as simple as this, some people like animals some don’t their choice.
Volcano

Postby HarvHar2018 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:16 pm

This volcano is about to erupt :text-lol:
Keep your face always towards the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you
HarvHar2018

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Volcano » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:14 pm

HarvHar2018 wrote:This volcano is about to erupt :text-lol:

Don’t do that! It can be messy.. have a curry instead, I hear cat is a good substitute for beef..
Volcano

Postby SWT » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:39 am

Mickey Braw wrote:These feral cats can be very dangerous. Some years ago a neighbour of mine was walking his dog past an empty property up near Aeropuerto and two feral cats attacked his small dog. He attempted to pick his dog up and one of the cats went for my neighbours face and neck, causing him to fall over and hit the kerb. His back was broken. After months in hospital he was discharged and spent what turned out to be the last days of his life in a brace. A lovely, previously fit man had his life ruined, his dog killed by these wild cats.
Be careful!!

They are small cats you make it sound as if there is bengal tigers running around??
SWT

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby SWT » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:40 am

:text-goodpost:
Gustav wrote:We both have different views
Fair enough,
Theres dog people
&
Cat people,
SWT

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales