Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Feeding of feral cats

Re: Feeding of feral cats

Postby SWT » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:42 am

Volcano wrote:I was in Turkey a few years ago, it was a few weeks before their holiday season started. a few dogs were snarling at my wife and I, for safety we took refuge in a shop, the shop owner told us that the dogs were agitated because the authorities were rounding them up and shooting them, something they did every year, when we got home we were awoken early the next morning with what sounded like shotguns going off, we found out they culled 150 Canadian geese on the lake and bird sanctuary where we live. Maybe the same should be enacted for all these feral cats! Personally I don’t mind people having animals as long as they don’t bring them near me. I can’t do with their smell or the smell of peoples houses with animals, I also can’t stand dogs jumping up on me or trying to be friendly, nor cats. And I walk out of restaurants that allow animals inside. Thankfully many won’t allow it in or out. It’s as simple as this, some people like animals some don’t their choice.

Christ I bet your a right bundle of fun.
SWT

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Gustav » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:09 am

Volcano wrote:I was in Turkey a few years ago, it was a few weeks before their holiday season started. a few dogs were snarling at my wife and I, for safety we took refuge in a shop, the shop owner told us that the dogs were agitated because the authorities were rounding them up and shooting them, something they did every year, when we got home we were awoken early the next morning with what sounded like shotguns going off, we found out they culled 150 Canadian geese on the lake and bird sanctuary where we live. Maybe the same should be enacted for all these feral cats! Personally I don’t mind people having animals as long as they don’t bring them near me. I can’t do with their smell or the smell of peoples houses with animals, I also can’t stand dogs jumping up on me or trying to be friendly, nor cats. And I walk out of restaurants that allow animals inside. Thankfully many won’t allow it in or out. It’s as simple as this, some people like animals some don’t their choice.

Theres a lot of feral youths about , they kniw no fear, no respect, for the law,
What's your views on that?
The same?
After all its humans that cause a lot of animal abuse and misery!
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby David Stokes » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:34 am

SWT wrote:
Mickey Braw wrote:These feral cats can be very dangerous. Some years ago a neighbour of mine was walking his dog past an empty property up near Aeropuerto and two feral cats attacked his small dog. He attempted to pick his dog up and one of the cats went for my neighbours face and neck, causing him to fall over and hit the kerb. His back was broken. After months in hospital he was discharged and spent what turned out to be the last days of his life in a brace. A lovely, previously fit man had his life ruined, his dog killed by these wild cats.
Be careful!!

They are small cats you make it sound as if there is bengal tigers running around??

The small ones are domestic breeds, but believe me, the one that attacked my dog near the golf course was much bigger. I saw it coming towards us when it was 20 meters away, so changed direction to try to avoid it, but it just kept coming. It's one intention was to attack my dog, which was on a lead and was no threat to it. It came right up to us and I had to kick it otherwise my dog would have been seriously hurt. I don't normally hurt animals, but I had to protect my dog.

Over the years there have been many of these larger feral cats around, with idiots feeding them. That's what I am complaining about. Even if people feed them on their property, the cat will still roam around, so where you put the food is irrelevant.

If you want to support wildlife, don't feed them. If you watch wildlife programs on TV, you will know that professionals avoid making young animals too dependent, so they can survive if put back in the wild. If you move, who is going to feed them then?
David Stokes

Postby Anniep » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:53 pm

I was told you shouldn’t feed feral cats, as they lose their ability to hunt well for food, so you are doing more harm than good, also if there are people trying to trap them to sterilise them it makes it more difficult for them ,
Anniep

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu

Postby David Stokes » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:54 pm

Anniep wrote:I was told you shouldn’t feed feral cats, as they lose their ability to hunt well for food, so you are doing more harm than good, also if there are people trying to trap them to sterilise them it makes it more difficult for them ,

Well put! Exactly the point I was making.
David Stokes

Postby toffeeapple » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:14 pm

David Stokes wrote:Yesterday a kitchen was sitting on our wall with a neighbour, and our dog got hold of it and the mother cat came along to help it's young one. I had a hell of a job to get hold of and protect the dog in a difficult place to get at. The cats meant business and I was scared they would scratch the dogs eyes, possibly blinding her.

Cats wandering around the roads and coming into gardens are a menace to dog owners. You dare not let your dog sniff in bushes along the road in case a cat is lurking.

Feeding feral cats is illegal, and rightly so. Why can cat owners let their cats roam anywhere without sanction. If I let my dog roam the roads I would be fined €200 a time, and the same if she were not chipped. Why do we have to put up with roaming cats un-chipped cats where there is no sanction?

I emphasise, I am an animal lover, I would not hurt any animal, including cats, but I want them controlled. To balance this I should add that similarly, I get very annoyed when I see people in the El Recorral park with dogs not on leads, and the same along the roads.

:text-goodpost:
toffeeapple

Postby Gustav » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:48 pm

David Stokes wrote:
Anniep wrote:I was told you shouldn’t feed feral cats, as they lose their ability to hunt well for food, so you are doing more harm than good, also if there are people trying to trap them to sterilise them it makes it more difficult for them ,

To feed feral cats at a regular point,
Makes it easier to trap them at the feeding point and neuter them,on the catch and release scheme,
If there's no daily /regular feeding point, how ever would you catch them
And attend the vets for the alloted neutering appiontment,
To get feral cats neutered under the catch and release scheme you need to attend the vets appointments on time,
And you have to release them at the point of capture,
Gustav

Previous