Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

No card accepted

Re: No card accepted

Postby Shiva » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:44 pm

Totally understand businesses setting a "minimum amount" for card payments, given bank charges etc. However a shop or bar/ restaurant saying they are cash only or the card machine regularly "not working" may be a warning sign that they have could be having some problems with getting credit etc. I noted a couple in the area just before lockdown ( naming no names) where going bust was preceded by a number of weeks of " cash only/ machine not working " etc. In such places I certainly wouldn't personally be paying them an advance deposit for anything eg dinner or event bookings or anything I wasn't taking away on the day...
Shiva

Postby Mickey Braw » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:33 pm

Shiva wrote:Totally understand businesses setting a "minimum amount" for card payments, given bank charges etc. However a shop or bar/ restaurant saying they are cash only or the card machine regularly "not working" may be a warning sign that they have could be having some problems with getting credit etc. I noted a couple in the area just before lockdown ( naming no names) where going bust was preceded by a number of weeks of " cash only/ machine not working " etc. In such places I certainly wouldn't personally be paying them an advance deposit for anything eg dinner or event bookings or anything I wasn't taking away on the day...

You’re right, a sure sign that they are having problems. Perhaps, if we want these businesses to survive, we should do what we can to help them.
Mickey Braw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Red Rock » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:49 pm

My go to Breakfast/Lunch place is cash only.
I don't mind as the prices are so reasonable I am happy to support them.

What concerns me more is paying the fee for tax forms and even a surveyor in cash
Red Rock

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Yan » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:10 pm

What about all the builders and tradesmen who only deal in cash. Some of them ask for thousands in cash!
Yan

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:54 pm

Even Steve Birket takes cards has his own tiny little card reader

Yan wrote:What about all the builders and tradesmen who only deal in cash. Some of them ask for thousands in cash!
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Volcano » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:07 pm

When I ask suppliers for quotes, I find get 2 prices given, one with VAT (IVA)the other without VAT (IVA). Then the expectations of those quotes come: Pay VAT (IVA) you get an invoice or receipt and the guarantee actual paperwork. Don’t pay VAT (IVA) no invoice or receipt & a verbal guarantee.
It normally comes with “ if you want to pay the government IVA that’s up to you” I tend not to use these companies and instead pay the VAT, get an invoice and pay directly into a bank account. I insist the bank account is in the business name. Not the contractors wife’s, sister’s, name who lives in Northern Ireland or Mongolia.
Volcano

Postby Darro » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:31 am

RJC wrote:Within UK, shops perfectly legally entitled to insist on either cash only or alternatively plastic only.

Nobody is saying it's not legal or shouldn't be a choice for the business, it's when it's underhand (machine not working) or without prior notice, or to evade tax, that it's wrong.

It happened to me once in the Punjabi Virsa restaurant in Catral. I don't recall there being any notice saying cash only but during the meal saw other customers being asked for cash.

As I was having the Menu del dia I knew what my bill would be and had enough cash to cover it but when it came time to pay strangely I was a couple of Euros short but they accepted what I had and said "pay the difference next time", yeah right!

Play them at their own game I say!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Ross Kemp » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:07 pm

There are a lot of established business here in Quesada that have this cash only policy. . They also forget that if you have to go to a machine to take out money it will cost you €2.oo-3.50 to take out the cash.
Ross Kemp

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Gustav » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:38 pm

My bank doesn't charge to take money from machine.
Gustav

Postby Terry the gardener » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:44 pm

If your bank cash point is not near by you have no option but to use another that will charge..
Terry the gardener

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

PreviousNext