Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Property purchasing

Property purchasing

Postby Raspberry Blower » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:55 am

Is it normal to have so little information on a property you are about to purchase ?
We're due to complete next week and we know no more than we did 2 months ago. I know agents and solicitors state that they try to make purchasing as stress free as possible but knowing so little is stress in itself.
We've asked questions but these seem to go unanswered. For example, local planning applications for building works in vicinity local to the property apparently is not part of local searches. The solicitor has never been asked this question about this before.
Is this lack of information normal for Spain ? TIA
Raspberry Blower

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quasada

Re: Property purchasing

Postby jpeg » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:06 am

If you are not happy then pull out of the sale, all your questions should have been answered before you signed a contract
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:43 am

If they've signed surely it's a bit late to pull out? Or cost a fortune?

jpeg wrote:If you are not happy then pull out of the sale, all your questions should have been answered before you signed a contract
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby youngsteveyoung » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:36 am

If you think that's frustrating, wait until you want to sell!!
In short, buying or selling, do not expect the level of professionalism as in the UK.
Agents, Banks, Lawyers etc.
Survey? What's a survey?
youngsteveyoung

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Paul58 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:40 am

Raspberry Blower wrote:Is it normal to have so little information on a property you are about to purchase ?
We're due to complete next week and we know no more than we did 2 months ago. I know agents and solicitors state that they try to make purchasing as stress free as possible but knowing so little is stress in itself.
We've asked questions but these seem to go unanswered. For example, local planning applications for building works in vicinity local to the property apparently is not part of local searches. The solicitor has never been asked this question about this before.

I would direct your questions to your independent solicitor. Take everything the sellers agent tells you with a large pinch of salt.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby jpeg » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:25 pm

Chrisdee wrote:If they've signed surely it's a bit late to pull out? Or cost a fortune?

jpeg wrote:If you are not happy then pull out of the sale, all your questions should have been answered before you signed a contract

If questions are asked and not given answers then that is a legal reason to pull out of a house sale contract and the deposit should still be with their legal team if not they made a bad choice of lawyers
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:32 pm

Good luck with that then

jpeg wrote:
Chrisdee wrote:If they've signed surely it's a bit late to pull out? Or cost a fortune?

If questions are asked and not given answers then that is a legal reason to pull out of a house sale contract and the deposit should still be with their legal team if not they made a bad choice of lawyers
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Gustav » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:11 pm

youngsteveyoung wrote:If you think that's frustrating, wait until you want to sell!!
In short, buying or selling, do not expect the level of professionalism as in the UK.
Agents, Banks, Lawyers etc.
Survey? What's a survey?

Buying or selling is not the same as in uk
You are in Spain,different procedure,
ask the questions
If no answers,or wether the answers expected or not,
Don't buy if you not happay
Surly you don't need someone to tell you this,
Employ a good spanish property lawyer, to get you the answers.
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Shiva » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:17 pm

Raspberry Blower wrote:Is it normal to have so little information on a property you are about to purchase ?

Yes the process is different here. Communication with your solicitor is vital. The most important thing is that you should be using a reputable solicitor (preferably one recommended independently of the Estate agent and certainly separate from the Estate Agent.) That is your best insurance. The types of checks the solicitor makes are typically things like making sure the house is Legal, its description matches that on the land Registries, all building additions ( eg if a swimming pool or extension added) that these are legal and registered etc), the person selling it has the right to sell it etc, all outstanding bills on property paid ( because bills eg local taxes etc are attached to the property not the person.) Planning Depts are not like the UK and I doubt it is even possible for a planning search as you describe it of future development applications etc. Many people also don't routinely have a "survey" done before purchase but you can ask your solicitor to arrange for this or for an architect to do a report on the property if you are seeking reassurance of its buildworthiness. This will cost extra of course. You should ask your solicitor to explain what they are doing as part of the conveyancing and if you have specific worries ask if these can be addressed. Also a solicitor will typically make all the arrangements for utilities to be switched into your name etc. Things are done differently in Spain for sure but that is why it's key to have a good solicitor and to ask them to explain clearly what they are doing as a matter of course and if there are other things eg a survey that you want arranged.
Shiva

Postby Raspberry Blower » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:59 pm

Yes, solicitor is independent. Utilities etc are ready to go. Everything you list was discussed at earlier meeting for notary. POA was given as we're in UK so that be another reason. I had a surveyor walk round with me on first viewing which surprised the agent. The solicitor said she'd never been asked about local planning applications. We've just got to get used to the Spanish way I suppose
Raspberry Blower

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quasada