Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Breakdown Warning Lights

Re: Breakdown Warning Lights

Postby marcliff » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:24 pm

My car has two buttons above the rear view mirror. One connects directly to Merc breakdown service so they can locate you and the other is a big red one that connects directly to the emergency services with your location if in a serious accident.

I keep telling the missus "don't press the red button". I think she thinks the ejector seat will come into operation.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby jpeg » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:54 pm

A lot of modern cars already have the system installed It activates if you have a collision
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby marcliff » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:00 pm

Thankfully I've never had to test them out.
marcliff

Postby Steve wilkins » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:45 pm

Chrisdee wrote:Does it only work when switched on,

Steve wilkins wrote:So how does it know you have broken down or have a crash if it's not monitoring you at all times? Sorry but i'm not being forced to be tracked every second of every day in my car and have my location disclosed to the DGT, vodafone and the insurance company because they say so. It's big brother's wet dream on steroids. And i'm sure the pyramid box with what resembles a eye on it is purely by coincidence as well

Next they'll be saying you have to have a device on you at all times that has a camera and mic in it so we can keep track of you wherever you go. For your safety of course. Oh wait.....

No idea.
Steve wilkins

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby marcliff » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:54 pm

Chrisdee wrote:Does it only work when switched on,

According to the Flash blurb, it switches on automatically when it is placed on a metallic part of the car. You can turn it on manually by pressing the button on the top.

So, no, it is not always on. DGT also says the details are anonymised so they don't know who you are but just sends a message to the overhead warnings to alert other road users and only reports the location of the car, not what the car is.
marcliff

Postby jpeg » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:04 pm

The ones bult into your car are activated by a crash or there is a self activaion button somewhere in the car
jpeg

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:09 pm

Think you're paranoid about things? I couldn't care less if the govt want to monitor me, why should i be?

Steve wilkins wrote:So how does it know you have broken down or have a crash if it's not monitoring you at all times? Sorry but i'm not being forced to be tracked every second of every day in my car and have my location disclosed to the DGT, vodafone and the insurance company because they say so. It's big brother's wet dream on steroids. And i'm sure the pyramid box with what resembles a eye on it is purely by coincidence as well

Next they'll be saying you have to have a device on you at all times that has a camera and mic in it so we can keep track of you wherever you go. For your safety of course. Oh wait.....
Chrisdee

Postby jpeg » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:13 pm

jpeg

Postby Darro » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:24 pm

In essence all they they are is a totally anonymous mobile phone with a built in GPS receiver and flashing light.

When activated they send an approximate location to DGT who can then pass the info onto police patrols who, if in the vicinity, may turn up to ensure your safety and assist with breakdown services or recovery.

DGT can also activate overhead warning signs where appropriate, the devices will not do that themselves although it may be that the system is joined up enough to activate them automatically

Current versions only work on the Vodafone network which is not the best in Spain, future versions will work on other networks also which is why buying now may be a little premature.

IMO even the passive non GEO lights which have been available to buy for a year or more are infinitely preferable to the putting out of triangles, an act which over the years has cost scores of drivers their lives!

Light or not DGT are already advising drivers to not use triangles if suffering a breaking down on a fast road.

Re ADS on new cars, yet another reason you will not find me anywhere near one, automatic rain activated windscreen wipers was a step way too far for me!!!!!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Steve wilkins » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:12 pm

Chrisdee wrote:Think you're paranoid about things? I couldn't care less if the govt want to monitor me, why should i be?

Not paranoid, just don't trust the government with anything.
Steve wilkins

PreviousNext