Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Driving License Exchange with Right Move

Re: Driving License Exchange with Right Move

Postby Yokel » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:44 pm

What I cannot understand on this thread is that when your licence is submitted to DGT for exchange they give you a piece of paper that acts as a temporary licence whilst the UK/Spanish licence exchange takes place. So are people saying that they have not even got that from Right Move?
Yokel

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Paulwilko10 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:49 pm

Yokel wrote:What I cannot understand on this thread is that when your licence is submitted to DGT for exchange they give you a piece of paper that acts as a temporary licence whilst the UK/Spanish licence exchange takes place. So are people saying that they have not even got that from Right Move?

I'm saying exactly that.
Friends of mine got a call the other day to go get that bit of paper which is stamped I believe
They submitted 2 weeks after us.
All I have is a photocopy of my old license with a letter from rightmove stating we have started the process but we do not have the official paper from dgt as we're in the pile.

We are literally in no man's land
Paulwilko10

Which part of Spain are you from?: Bracknell

Postby elchedave » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:56 pm

Yokel wrote:
lance wrote:A tip, dare I say it on a public forum, if you contact DVLA and tell them you have lose your British licence they will issue another. Cost £20. You didn't hear it from me.

If your UK licence has been exchanged, or if DVLA have a record of it being in the process of being exchanged for a Spanish licence, that would not work.

Some people will legally have a UK and a Spanish licence, they are the ones that didn't wait for UK/Spain to iron out their differences on licence exchange and went and passed the Spanish driving test, and therefore didn't need to exchange their UK licence.

i am sure it is illegal to have two driving licenses.
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:20 pm

The piece of paper wasn't from DGT my friends was from One way services which stated it was applied for no date at all on it. He was told that would be fine for the police if stopped
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paulwilko10 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:23 pm

Chrisdee wrote:The piece of paper wasn't from DGT my friends was from One way services which stated it was applied for no date at all on it. He was told that would be fine for the police if stopped
or may well be, but not sure if it will be after the 6 months?
Paulwilko10

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:27 pm

Maybe the police can check if it's being processed if need be?

quote="Paulwilko10"]
Chrisdee wrote:The piece of paper wasn't from DGT my friends was from One way services which stated it was applied for no date at all on it. He was told that would be fine for the police if stopped
or may well be, but not sure if it will be after the 6 months?[/quote]
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paulwilko10 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:29 pm

Chrisdee wrote:Maybe the police can check if it's being processed if need be?

quote="Paulwilko10"]
or may well be, but not sure if it will be after the 6 months?
[/quote]
Trouble is, no one has record of it lol right pain in the backside
Paulwilko10

Postby Yokel » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:29 pm

elchedave wrote:
Yokel wrote:
lance wrote:A tip, dare I say it on a public forum, if you contact DVLA and tell them you have lose your British licence they will issue another. Cost £20. You didn't hear it from me.

If your UK licence has been exchanged, or if DVLA have a record of it being in the process of being exchanged for a Spanish licence, that would not work.

Some people will legally have a UK and a Spanish licence, they are the ones that didn't wait for UK/Spain to iron out their differences on licence exchange and went and passed the Spanish driving test, and therefore didn't need to exchange their UK licence.

i am sure it is illegal to have two driving licenses.

Would be illegal if you had two driving licences from the same country, which is what Lance has suggested people do on page 2 of this thread.

When people exchange their UK licence for the Spanish licence, their UK Licence is cancelled. Those UK licence holders who took the Spanish driving test and passed still legally retain a valid UK licence.
Yokel

Postby Yokel » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:45 pm

Not sure this would stack up if stopped by the police. Anyone can cobble together a letter head and write some weasley words on it saying "applied".

Police surely would say if you have applied for it you will be in receipt of the temporary bit of paper from DGT proving it. If you are not in receipt of that paper than you have not applied for it, which could be the case if some of these companies acting on behalf of people submit licence exchanges in bulk - if these companies wait until they have "x" number to submit, then how long do they have your licence before actually taking it to DGT?

Just say they companies go to DGT once a month, the worst case scenario is your licence has been sat in their office for 4 weeks before it gets to DGT, thats 4 weeks delay to starting the exchange process, 4 weeks that you think DGT have been sitting on it etc.
Yokel

Postby Paulwilko10 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:53 pm

Yokel wrote:

Not sure this would stack up if stopped by the police. Anyone can cobble together a letter head and write some weasley words on it saying "applied".

Police surely would say if you have applied for it you will be in receipt of the temporary bit of paper from DGT proving it. If you are not in receipt of that paper than you have not applied for it, which could be the case if some of these companies acting on behalf of people submit licence exchanges in bulk - if these companies wait until they have "x" number to submit, then how long do they have your licence before actually taking it to DGT?

Just say they companies go to DGT once a month, the worst case scenario is your licence has been sat in their office for 4 weeks before it gets to DGT, thats 4 weeks delay to starting the exchange process, 4 weeks that you think DGT have been sitting on it etc.

Right move claim they go 2 or 3 times a week to collect new temp permits. Who knows if that's true
Paulwilko10

Previous