Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

90/180 day rule for UK visitors

Re: 90/180 day rule for UK visitors

Postby solwayiceman » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:29 am

Brexit the gift that keeps on giving.
They may take our lives but they will never take our FREEDOM
solwayiceman

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby Paul58 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:57 am

solwayiceman wrote:Brexit the gift that keeps on giving.

90/180 day rule preceded Brexit and applied to UK passport holders prior to Brexit.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby solwayiceman » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:05 am

That may well have been the case before but since Brexit and we have left the club, europe is applying the rule which is their right.
They may take our lives but they will never take our FREEDOM
solwayiceman

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Postby Volcano » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:26 am

Paul58 wrote:
Volcano wrote:Unfortunately Spain will ask the EU for it to assist their tourism loss, which from 17 million visits to 3.2 million a year is a major loss, but they will soon learn that the EU are totally inflexible and will say no. I would love for Spain and Portugal to be able to lift the rules of 90/180 and in its place put work permits for those who wish to work and none working visitors permits for those who want to spend six or seven months in Spain. The boost to income and tourism would be most welcome. Spain and those who live there would not object to thousands of Brits working and paying their dues nor would they object to tens of thousands of Brits spending 6-9-12 months in their holiday home spending their money generously. Dragging their kids and grandkids over during school holidays for up to 6 weeks, again filling the bars and restaurants and using the facilities for having fun. After covid decimated businesses globally, everyone should be getting together to boost income, not putting barriers up. Let’s hope the anti British sentiment of the EU does not hurt Spain and Portugal and they see sense.

Where on earth are you getting your information from? In the first 5 months of 2023 Spain received 21 million visits and predicts over 50 million visits between May and October 2023.
https://www.thelocal.es/20230602/foreign-tourists-in-spain-reach-record-figures-in-april-2023

https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/gobierno/news/Paginas/2023/20230601_international-tourists.aspx

Spain doesn't need help from the EU with tourism but needs and has received help with the water situation.

The information came from the Spanish Tourism minister who said the loss since covid of British visitors in 2019 was down from 17 million visits, to 3.2 million in 2022, the first quarter of 23 has seen a slight increase. I’m only reporting what the guy who is asking the EU to make changes has quoted.
I am referring to British visitors not every nationality.
Volcano

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Graham Stovold » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:31 am

Just my personal opinion from our circumstances, but I don’t know what all the fuss is over shengan. We are allowed visits of up to 6 months throughout the year which is ample for us as we generally do about 4 visits a year.

Surely if people are looking to do more than the 6 months, then you should be thinking about residency.
Graham Stovold

Which part of Spain are you from?: Los Palacios

Postby Mac3blade » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:39 am

Graham Stovold wrote:Just my personal opinion from our circumstances, but I don’t know what all the fuss is over shengan. We are allowed visits of up to 6 months throughout the year which is ample for us as we generally do about 4 visits a year.

Surely if people are looking to do more than the 6 months, then you should be thinking about residency.

I must say, I could certainly spend a little more time in Spain but don’t have a desire to leave the U.K. or to give up our home. The Spanish tax system is not as giving as ours either. The NHS may be in trouble but once we are in the system, we are checked regularly so it’s a big leap to move to a different country not really knowing the ins and outs. It’s strange, I love being in Spain off season and love being at home outside that. Today is glorious so no complaints. Church shortly so time to wish you all well.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Bee » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:25 am

Volcano wrote:Unfortunately Spain will ask the EU for it to assist their tourism loss, which from 17 million visits to 3.2 million a year is a major loss, but they will soon learn that the EU are totally inflexible and will say no.

I was surprised at the figures you quote as they didn't reflect any of the good news story regarding the pick-up in numbers visiting Spain in 2023 as opposed to 2022 while Covid restrictions were in operation. I had a look for some official statistics so far this year and they don't reflect your figures nor what the Spanish Minister for Tourism Hector Gomez has said.

The main issuing countries in the first two months of 2023 are the United Kingdom (over 1.5 million tourists and an annual increase of 61.9%), France (with more than 1.1 million, and an increase of 30 .2%) and Germany (with 988,142 tourists, 47.2% more).

https://www.mincotur.gob.es/es-es/Gabin ... n-ano.aspx

the Minister of Industry, Commerce and Tourism, Héctor Gómez said Spain is predicted to receive between 52.3 and 54.8 million foreign tourists during May-October 2023, slightly more than the figures for the same months in 2019.

Spain welcomed 1.4 million visitors from the UK in April, 8.7% more than in the same month in 2022.
https://www.spainenglish.com/2023/06/02 ... ors-april/

U.K has by far the largest amount of flights to and from Alicante Airport with flights from 21 UK destinations into Alicante.

https://alicanteairport.org/statistics/

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby The Eagle » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:24 am

Trying to take Marcliffs place and failing miserably.
The Eagle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Darro » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:35 am

Volcano wrote:The information came from the Spanish Tourism minister who said the loss since covid of British visitors in 2019 was down from 17 million visits, to 3.2 million in 2022, the first quarter of 23 has seen a slight increase. I’m only reporting what the guy who is asking the EU to make changes has quoted.
I am referring to British visitors not every nationality.
Hardly an unbiased source and catnip for those who will only hear and believe whatever suits their grievances or agendas.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby earlybay » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:08 pm

I believe the requirements for residency post Brexit are more stringent. I imagine the 180 day rule will make people think twice about buying a property in Spain (say for future retirement) due to the time limits you can stay there. From an economic sense I can’t see how this ruling benefits Spain.
earlybay

Which part of Spain are you from?: Alicante

PreviousNext