Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Bringing our own furniture

Bringing our own furniture

Postby Davejason » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:49 pm

We are just about to complete on our purchase in Quesarda. Hopefully Monday
The question I have is
Can we bring our own furniture to put into our holiday home in Spain and if so what do we need to do.
It is very confusing as all points to people who are relocating or have residency.
We are only at the moment using it as a holiday home.
Thanks in advance
Dave
Davejason

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Bringing our own furniture

Postby Bee » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:23 pm

You would be charged Customs Duty, VAT etc since Jan 2021. I would think it would be cost prohibitive.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Shiva » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:32 pm

It is really unlikely to be worth the trouble and expense, particularly, as Bee points out, with the extra customs fees and bureaucracy.Plenty of places here to buy furniture, including inexpensive and second hand as well as IKEA etc.
Shiva

Postby Volcano » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:48 pm

There is full relief from customs duty and IVA for goods that are your personal effects, contact customs house Salford and ask for the Freight team, they will advise which form you need to complete.
Once you have completed all the forms, provided a packing list and undertaken a declaration, you may need to pay a customs agent at Calais to undertake a customs clearance for you. If you are carrying the furniture yourself on a removal truck, you may be able to complete the forms and clear customs for France yourself at Folkestone if you are going by the tunnel.
If you are using a removal team they should be able to do the clearance for you but it will cost. But first speak to customs at Manchester.
Volcano

Postby Davejason » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:59 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I will look into it a bit more to see if it is worth the hassle
Davejason

Postby marcliff » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:27 pm

Volcano wrote:There is full relief from customs duty and IVA for goods that are your personal effects, contact customs house Salford and ask for the Freight team, they will advise which form you need to complete.
Once you have completed all the forms, provided a packing list and undertaken a declaration, you may need to pay a customs agent at Calais to undertake a customs clearance for you. If you are carrying the furniture yourself on a removal truck, you may be able to complete the forms and clear customs for France yourself at Folkestone if you are going by the tunnel.
If you are using a removal team they should be able to do the clearance for you but it will cost. But first speak to customs at Manchester.

Looks like I'm still logged in and I can't let this go.
That is very misleading information. The customs exemption on shipping over personal goods and furniture only apply to those who are moving to Spain and changing residency.

It does not apply to those who are using it as a second home and a legal copy of the residence or work permit must accompany the documentation. For those who are taking up residency, the exemption must be claimed within 3 months of your arrival in Spain so you can't ship goods to a second home and then take up residency after a year and claim the exemption.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Volcano » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:46 pm

marcliff wrote:
Volcano wrote:There is full relief from customs duty and IVA for goods that are your personal effects, contact customs house Salford and ask for the Freight team, they will advise which form you need to complete.

That is very misleading information. The customs exemption on shipping over personal goods and furniture only apply to those who are moving to Spain and changing residency.

It does not apply to those who are using it as a second home and a legal copy of the residence or work permit must accompany the documentation. For those who are taking up residency, the exemption must be claimed within 3 months of your arrival in Spain so you can't ship goods to a second home and then take up residency after a year and claim the exemption.

Next time I’ll read the whole post! I did not read that it was only a holiday home..sorry I thought you were relocating to Spain permanently! Please ignore my advice.
Volcano

Postby Benbow » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:47 pm

marcliff wrote:

:text-goodpost:
Benbow

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Ov3rdal3 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:03 pm

Welcome to Bexit
Ov3rdal3

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby sarnia cherie » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:03 pm

I wouldn’t bother going to the expense and bother of bringing furniture over. Most places are sold with the furniture. If you don’t like it sell or donate it. There are enough furniture shops and stores selling new or second hand furniture of all types and styles at reasonable prices. Before we moved here we got rid of a lot of stuff,either selling,donating or dumping it. We only had a hired Luton van half full of our personal belongings,clothes,photos,sentimental items and small utensils,tools etc.
sarnia cherie

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo pepin

Next