Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Retired driving instructor

Re: Retired driving instructor

Postby Williemcfarlane » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:13 pm

I’ve driven a little bit….(usually everyone back from the pub as I don’t drink)…but not very far. I want to go to the supermarket and shop “solo” like I do at home…without having to rely on my OH! Il call some driving schools tomorrow…thanks everyone for your kind advice and help.
Williemcfarlane

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:28 pm

Ive driven here for 23 years but only locally think the furthest I've driven on my own it La Marina one direction and a bit further on to Pilar de la Horadada in the other direction, never driven to the airport on my own, scared I'd end up in Madrid on the way back ha ha. Whenever we go out together it's automatically he drives and im a passenger.

Williemcfarlane wrote:I’ve driven a little bit….(usually everyone back from the pub as I don’t drink)…but not very far. I want to go to the supermarket and shop “solo” like I do at home…without having to rely on my OH! Il call some driving schools tomorrow…thanks everyone for your kind advice and help.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Gustav » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:58 am

No problem with roundabouts now
Most have been reduced to 1 Lane in our area ,
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Bee » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:48 am

You are more likely to end up in Madrid on the way to the Airport Chris. Coming back is very straightforward. First right off the first roundabout and you are away. The drive from the Airport is good for getting you back into driving on the right-hand side as it's just driving on a straight road at your own pace and keeping an eye on what's going on ahead of you and let whoever wants overtake you.

Bee
Bee

Postby DuFay » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:19 am

Hi if u lack confidence why dont u get in your car & drive to a quiet area near you & drive around it for a while to get your confidence up as if u look theres plenty of quiet places around where u can go & practice on your own or with a friend. One suggestion is down past Lidl where theres no houses built yet or some of the quieter roads near the Big chinese shop.
DuFay

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Williemcfarlane » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:19 am

Yes! My car is coming on Monday…(see I’m usually out with my husband but not this time)…so this is my chance to get my drivaphobia under control…take charge…give myself a shake….and get on with it! I can’t let the hired car sit at the door…doesn’t look like I’m going to be able to book lessons…so perhaps you all might want to avoid the roads for a bit come Monday!!! Lol. Thanks again for all the kind suggestions and tips….I just need to get into gear…and GO!!!! Lol
Williemcfarlane

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad quesada

Postby Explorer » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:17 am

Gustav wrote:No problem with roundabouts now
Most have been reduced to 1 Lane in our area ,

There has been a lot of work going at all around Vega Baja increasing the size of the roundabouts to reduce them from 2 to 1 lane. I did wonder why they would spend time and money doing such a thing.

Was there any kind of official announcement as to why they are doing it?
Explorer

Which part of Spain are you from?: Alicante Province

Postby Bee » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:23 pm

That's the spirit. You get behind that wheel and own the road. Go girl!

Bee
Bee

Postby Graham_Lynn » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:05 pm

Is it just road position on roundabouts you’re nervous about?
If so come and do a bit of practice driving on El Raso. We have plenty of roundabouts and most of the time it’s fairly quiet- apart from construction traffic. We have a low speed limit on the urbanisation, so there are no “boy racers” to worry about. Just drive around and it will get you aware of road layouts, such as pedestrian crossings at roundabout exits and road junctions. And if you get too nervous there’s plenty of spaces to pull over and take a little break. But honestly after 15 minutes you’ll be ready to conquer the world! The hardest part of driving for the first time, is remembering to take your right hand off the wheel to change gear.
Lynn
Graham_Lynn

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby Darro » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:45 pm

There are numerous different diagrams, for roundabouts, some helpful some creating even more confusion!

There is just one very simple but seemingly unwritten rule you need to remember to stay out of trouble though and that is....

'you may use any lane to circumnavigate a roundabout but you must ONLY EVER exit from the outside lane'
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

PreviousNext