Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Retired driving instructor

Re: Retired driving instructor

Postby jpeg » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:15 pm

Darro wrote:There are numerous different diagrams, for roundabouts, some helpful some creating even more confusion!

There is just one very simple but seemingly unwritten rule you need to remember to stay out of trouble though and that is....

'you may use any lane to circumnavigate a roundabout but you must ONLY EVER exit from the outside lane'

That depends on which lane you call the outside and inside
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Darro » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:16 pm

Anyone who needs to ask that question seriously should not be out there driving!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Paul M » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:20 pm

:text-lol: :text-lol:
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby jpeg » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:25 pm

Darro wrote:Anyone who needs to ask that question seriously should not be out there driving!

Why can you not answer the question????
jpeg

Postby Bee » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:05 pm

jpeg wrote:
Darro wrote:Anyone who needs to ask that question seriously should not be out there driving!

Why can you not answer the question????

I'm struggling with leaving in the outside lane advice too I must admit. In Spain on a 2 lane entry roundabout If I am leaving the roundabout at 12 'oclock then I am in the inside lane i.e right-hand lane and I leave in the inside lane. If I am going around after 12 o'clock on a 2 lane entry I am in the outside lane or left lane. This also agrees with blingle's diagram from N332. I can also use the outside left lane to go straight ahead at 12 o'clock where there is a build up of traffic. I have found that is how drivers in Spain do it also.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paul M » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:21 pm

Quote: I can also use the outside left lane to go straight ahead at 12 o'clock where there is a build up of traffic. I have found that is how drivers in Spain do it also.

Not so sure that’s correct Bee. I don’t know for definite but I’ve been told that’s illegal. And IMHO, the LAST thing you should do is copy what Spanish drivers do!!
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Bee » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:33 pm

PaulM I don't find Spanish drivers any better or worse than what I encounter at home except for the pedestrian crossings. We have this discussion every so often and then I forget what the outcome was.

It appears what I call the inside lane - right-hand lane they call the outside lane. That's if I am reading it right of course. Over to you Fred. We agree however that whatever it is called the right-hand lane is where you drive in Spain. It reminds me of cricket "when you're in your out and when you're out you're in"

This is from DGT seemingly
"Among other tips, the best way to drive around a multi-lane roundabout is to imagine that this is a rolled highway , in the shape of a circle. If you would never exit a freeway from the left lane, you shouldn't do so at a roundabout either. Likewise, the general rule, regardless of the exit we are going to take, is that we drive in the right lane, in the outside lane. The inside lanes can of course be used . But Traffico only advises its use when the outside lane is very congested and when we want to take the last exit and it is advisable to facilitate the circulation of other cars in the outside lane"

Bee
Bee

Postby jpeg » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:14 am

The righthand lane is the lane on your right and is called the INSIDE LANE
The lefthand lane is the lane on your extreme left and is called the OUTSIDE LANE
This refers to a 2 lane carriageway in Spain
jpeg

Postby camionpilot » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:29 am

A few moons ago a spanish born english friend and his girlfriend came of age to drive they had lessons and i was curious to know how they were taught to handle roundabouts , both there replies were that the instructor said if there is a gap for your exit go for it ...!!! :o

Explains a lot ...!!! ;)
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:32 am

Anyway, have you been out for a test drive yet?
Chrisdee

PreviousNext