Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Retired driving instructor

Retired driving instructor

Postby Williemcfarlane » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:09 am

Hi all….does anyone know of a retired driving instructor that would come in the car with me just to get my confidence up? I will have a car from next week and just need someone to help me with road position etc? If anyone knows of someone can you please DM me? (FYI…I have a full driving license)! TIA
Williemcfarlane

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad quesada

Re: Retired driving instructor

Postby Bee » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:31 pm

I don't know any driving instructors but I have one rule when driving in Spain -keep over to your right. The rest is practice. After a day or two at the most you will have the hang of it. Just watch when taking your first left-hand turn as you will be crossing the traffic and make sure you finish up on the right-hand side of the street/road you are entering.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Williemcfarlane » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:35 pm

Thankyou Bee for replying. I’m a very nervous driver…and had hoped with someone sitting beside me my confidence would grow.
Williemcfarlane

Postby Bee » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:52 pm

Yes it is normal to be nervous until you get the hang of it and thinking you are going to hit every parked car. A neighbour perhaps might sit in with you for a drive or if you said what area you are in there might be someone on here who is nearby and able to sit in with you for a couple of journeys.

Bee
Bee

Postby Jonlamb » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:56 pm

William,
Posibly you could pay for a few lessons with a driving school.
I recently passed a Spanish driving test as a pensioner and I would say the biggest difference in-between Spanish and UK is the roundabouts.
The Spanish system is to get into the right hand lane and don't indicate you are leaving the roundabout until just before your exit. As a UK driver it makes you think, why have more than one lane in the roundabout when you are not encouraged to use the inside lane.
The other thing is the Spanish don't give way as much as UK or flash someone to say ," you go before me", they stick to the system rigidly.
Other than that the typical Spanish driver is just as careful as your UK driver.
Jonlamb

Which part of Spain are you from?: rojales

Postby Williemcfarlane » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:11 pm

Thankyou….yes…I’m happy to pay….may I ask who you used for your lessons? I’m la marquesa area. Thanks
Williemcfarlane

Postby Jonlamb » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:30 pm

I used Señales in Rojales, near the cafe on the corner near the town hall and theatre.
The driving instructor I had was a bit sharp but a very good instructor. I recommend finding a school with an English speaking instructor.
Jonlamb

Which part of Spain are you from?: rojales

Postby Paul M » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:55 pm

Quote: Other than that the typical Spanish driver is just as careful as your UK driver.

Now there’s an interesting view Jon! I’ve never seen so many dangerous drivers as I have here in Spain. Daily occurrence to witness some ridiculous manoeuvre or dangerous behaviour.
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby blingle » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:07 pm

Jonlamb wrote:William,
Posibly you could pay for a few lessons with a driving school.
I recently passed a Spanish driving test as a pensioner and I would say the biggest difference in-between Spanish and UK is the roundabouts.
The Spanish system is to get into the right hand lane and don't indicate you are leaving the roundabout until just before your exit. As a UK driver it makes you think, why have more than one lane in the roundabout when you are not encouraged to use the inside lane.
The other thing is the Spanish don't give way as much as UK or flash someone to say ," you go before me", they stick to the system rigidly.
Other than that the typical Spanish driver is just as careful as your UK driver.

That advice was changed a fair while ago.

Guidance is now as below.

Screenshot_20230717_210535_Chrome.jpg
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Chrisdee » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:37 pm

I've taken our friend out who had lost confidence as she would be using our car which is a manual and she's used to an automatic plus she's not driven for a while. The first time I took her out I was the nervous one as no dual control but she was great, as soon as she got behind the wheel she was fine. Hopefully you will be the same

Is it you've never driven on the wrong side of the road as we say?
Chrisdee

Next