Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

ATM charges

ATM charges

Postby Mayfair » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:09 pm

Best bank for using UK debit card in ATM please
Mayfair

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: ATM charges

Postby Steve wilkins » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:04 pm

I have found the cheapest (so far) is Sabadell cash points. They charge 1.80 per transaction. But as with most banks, the rate is always 5 or 6p lower per £ than the actual rate.
Steve wilkins

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby ryanpd » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:16 pm

Definitely agree with Sabadell. I use currency card and way cheaper than others. Think other one I used was €7!
ryanpd

Postby suzi wong » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:10 pm

Santander uk card in Santander atm,free & bank rate conversion as long as you pick bottom left button on m/c, no conversion.
suzi wong

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 11

Postby Mayfair » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:27 pm

Sadly it would appear Santander is no longer an option. I withdrew 200 euros and was charged £188.61. Pressed the euros button.
Telephoned Santander UK and was told this was correct . ‘We don’t charge you for using the card but calculate our own rate “. (as opposed to Mastercard rate.So they give with one hand and take away plus with the other.
Mayfair

Postby Kingy0 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:28 pm

Mayfair wrote:Sadly it would appear Santander is no longer an option. I withdrew 200 euros and was charged £188.61. Pressed the euros button.
Telephoned Santander UK and was told this was correct . ‘We don’t charge you for using the card but calculate our own rate “. (as opposed to Mastercard rate.So they give with one hand and take away plus with the other.

That's weird, I withdrew cash at the Santander ATM at Punta Prima on Monday 300 euros and charged £257.33 = 1.1658.

I just checked the Santander website to see if there have been any changes and it still says commission free if using Santander ATM. Your exchange of 1.06 does not make sense either. I would contact them again as something does nit seem correct and make a complaint.

Hope you get it sorted and its just a glitch as it would scupper us all.
Kingy0

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Darro » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:20 pm

Kingy0 wrote:Hope you get it sorted and its just a glitch as it would scupper us all.
A tad overstated as we don't 'all' use UK debit cards to withdraw cash in Spain.

Who needs to carry wads of cash these days anyway?
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Mayfair » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:04 pm

Thanks for taking time to reply.
Just to be clear is the left hand button ‘charged in Euros’ or charged in “pounds” . Thinking now maybe pressed the wrong button. In restaurant etc always ask to be charged in Euros, is ATM the same. Sorry for questioning but first time used a Santander card.
Mayfair

Postby Paul58 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:41 am

Mayfair wrote:Sadly it would appear Santander is no longer an option. I withdrew 200 euros and was charged £188.61. Pressed the euros button.

Please see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/07/santander-customer-on-holiday-in-spain--beware-of-the-500-atms-t/

If you are really, 100%, sure that you pressed the correct button I would chase Santander UK.

It might be something to do with the type of UK account that you hold. We still use our "123 select" account for fee free withdrawals at the bank rate (Visa). If ever this facility is removed, we will be closing all our UK Santander accounts.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Paul58 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:48 am

Mayfair wrote:Thanks for taking time to reply.
Just to be clear is the left hand button ‘charged in Euros’ or charged in “pounds” . Thinking now maybe pressed the wrong button. In restaurant etc always ask to be charged in Euros, is ATM the same. Sorry for questioning but first time used a Santander card.

Always press the "no conversion" button. Otherwise you will get the bank conversion rate which is usually very poor.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Next