Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Solar panels

Solar panels

Postby Tonbar » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:58 pm

Has anyone had solar panels installed by Iberdrola. Were they good and is the saving as expected. Also any problems with getting the grants from Valencia, EU, and payment over 3 years from Suma. Also I understand the cost can be deducted from income tax. I have had a quote from another company and they only told me about the government grant so won't use them. Iberdrola also said the pool can be connected at no extra cost. The system I will have has virtual batteries to store excess kws to use at night or days without sun. Also panels will need cleaning after sandy rain. Has anyone had this done? Comments would be appreciated.
Tonbar

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Solar panels

Postby Wingnut » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:21 am

Yes, we had them installed last December. A lot to relate, but I have to go out shortly, will reply later.
Wingnut

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Tonbar » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:23 am

Thanks
Tonbar

Postby Maz51 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:53 pm

Hi
Iberdrola installed our panels at the end of March. Delighted with the huge reduction on our monthly bills. Have all the documents ready to take into the Suma office. Waiting to hear regarding the Government Grant which, I believe Iberdrola are acting on our behalf re the grant.
Very professional service from I erdrola.
Maz51

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Tonbar » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:06 pm

Thank you. Iberdrola told me I have to send the papers to Valencia that can take up to 2 years to get the grant. There is also an EU grant of 600€ per KW which you have to apply for yourself. Iberdrola email the papers you complete and send to the EU. Did you do this. Do you know you can offset the cost against income tax assuming you pay tax in Spain. Iberdrola are 1000€ more than a couple of other companies but you get what you pay for and unlikely to go out of business any time soon.Regards Tony
Tonbar

Postby Tonbar » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:13 pm

Couple of other questions. Do you have virtual batteries to store excess power to draw on at night and rainy days? Is your electric provider Iberdrola mine isn't and I will have change to Iberdrola? That's not a problem. Tony
Tonbar

Postby Wingnut » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:37 pm

Our panels were installed last December, 12 panels nominal 5kw and was paid via 3 bills, the deposit in December the last 2 in January.
Installation by the subcontractor was completed efficiently in one day, also they installed and instructed how to use an APP which shows production and consumption in real time. At time of writing it is producing 3600 watts and we are using 1731, (3 aircons, fridge etc). Also they sent by email all the documentation to apply for 50% off IBI for 3 years (Torrevieja) and for the certificate to allow for tax deduction.
BUT.
We submitted the application for IBI reduction at the SUMA office on 2nd February and have heard nothing. I rang the number provided to ask about progress and was brushed off with a curt "no it has not been dealt with yet".
The IVACE website is the place to apply for the tax rebate certificate. It can only be done online and you need a digital signature. I had asked the sales assistant at Iberdrola and also our multiservice lawyer/accountant office if they would make the application and they both declined. How hard can it be, I will do it myself. Yeah right. The website is in Spanish which I can understand but navigating through it to submit all the necessary documentation is a complete and utter nightmare. There is an email address which provides assistance which I needed two or three times.
Eventually I sent off the application at the end of February. The rejection notice arrived on 10th July requiring 4 more pieces of documentation. These I sent after a lot more complications and received the certificate on 18th July. The certificate only refers to the invoice paid in December and of course arrived too late for the tax return deadline day. Now my accountant is very doubtful whether it will be allowed on the 2023 return next year.
So, good luck with trying to find someone idiotic enough to attempt this on your behalf, if you attempt it yourself keep a large box of paracetamol to hand.
It is a shame the experience has been tarnished by the bureaucracy. The kit is performing very well.
We chose to avoid signing up for a plan, preferring to pay the variable rate for a year so as to assess whether batteries would be justified further down the line.
In February we took 249 kwh at 18.7 cents and returned a surplus 297 kwh at 12.3 cents.
In June we took 107 kwh at 14.31 cents and returned 704 kwh at 7.4 cents.
So on the June bill the electric supplied to us cost about €20 and what we returned was worth about €50.
However you do not get the €50 it can only be set against the power you took in the month. Good for Iberdrola, they get the larger part of our surplus for nothing. You still have to pay the standing charges as before.
We quickly realised that there is no point subsidising Iberdrola by giving them power for nothing. So we are now running aircon units with gay abandon all day every day. Someone of an environmentally concerned disposition might observe that this pricing structure encourages a waste of power. But what do I know?
I would be very doubtful that your batteries would be cost effective. After all, they would not have the capacity to store the vast amount of surplus produced in the summer until needed in the winter.
Wingnut

Postby Tonbar » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Thanks very interesting. I am having 6 panels the excess will they tell me be stored in the virtual batteries to be used at night say after 9 in summer and 4 ish in winter. The company I am probably going to use do all the paperwork for me. Are you claiming a grant from Valencia and the EU? Nothing is straightforward. Spain are very good at ruining things and making it unnecessarily difficult. Tony
Tonbar

Postby Gustav » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:01 am

Why not just,
Get the solar fitted independently,from Palfer themselves?(one of Iberdrola subcontractors)office and depot in Guardamar,
Buy you own storage batteries,
Palfer know all about the the grants/subsidies.
But agree everything is a task and not straight forward,especialy with the language barrier.
Gustav

Postby Bee » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:15 pm

I can't help but think that all this drive to install solar panels is putting the cart before the horse as it is not reducing the demand for energy. The way to reduce the demand for energy is to make sure the fabric of the building doesn't require energy use in the first place and invest in renovating the current housing stock to make them energy efficient. The built environment is responsible for 40% of CO2 emissions

Bee

Extract from an article from Idealista from the founders of Arquitectura Bauwood in Madrid by two women, Laura Motilla Blanch and Mireya Reguarte.

"You are also a rehabilitation agent

Mireya Reguarde: The Next Generation grants (from EU Funds) have had a very good point, which is that they have popularized energy rehabilitation, which is to reduce the energy bill, not from installing photovoltaic panels, but from the renovation of buildings, so that envelope of the building does not directly demand energy. We always work thinking from the reduction of the energy demand of the building so that it consumes and asks for as little as possible and that people then already choose which facilities to install in their building or in their home, if they need them. With the Next Generation funds, a new figure has now also emerged, which is that of a rehabilitative agent. But it is true that we have been doing it since 2016, because in the city of Madrid there has been aid since those years, Since 2017, the first Plan Rehabilita came out, which was specifically oriented for this, for energy rehabilitation from the thermal envelope. Together with the aid from the City Council and the aid that the Community of Madrid also gave, we have already rehabilitated around 50 buildings: they are subsidies that adding the two can reach 80% direct aid for your home.

Right now what we do is manage and talk to neighborhood communities to tell them about these benefits and that instead of investing in a car, they should invest in their home. Because what a complete rehabilitation is going to mean, apart from an improvement in comfort, is that it is going to revalue the building"

https://l.semanal.idealista.com/rts/go2 ... a7571039d3
Bee