Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

AP-7 upgrade

AP-7 upgrade

Postby Darro » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:39 am

The Government has announced that 17 kilometres of the AP-7 motorway in the south of Alicante province will be upgraded to three lanes.

It’s the culmination of a long campaign to see improvements to the busy highway which, according to Ministry of Transport figures, is used daily by 9,000 lorries.

Local business groups have criticised the lack of investment in key road infrastructures in the province including the Alicante ring road.

The extra lane will be built between Crevillente at the intersection with the AP-7 and the Orihuela-Benferri CV-870 exit at a cost of €94 million.

The project will also see the revamping of five exit junctions.

A government statement said: “The Vega Baja and the Baix Vinapolo will have the privilege of being the only Alicante province regions to have three-lane motorways which will also improve road connections to Madrid.”

Welcome news but you have to wonder just what's so special about that particular stretch of road to warrant €94m being spent on it?

Hard to see how it improves connections with Madrid in any meaningful way as the junction with the A30 is still 25km further on. I suppose it might improve access to IKEA for some so there is that :text-lol:

Frankly IMO if they have a spare 94m to play with I'd suggest buying out the operator for the La Zenia toll and opening the road for free!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Re: AP-7 upgrade

Postby Gustav » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:43 am

Or improving widening the N 332
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Bee » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:01 am

Especially the N332 bottleneck at Torrevieja.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Steve wilkins » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:53 am

I agree with all of the above.

Widen the N332 and make the AP7 toll free south of Quesada. I do wonder if congestion on the N332 will be less if the La Zenia toll was removed. At the moment, you can join the AP7 at Los Montesinos, and get hit with TWO tolls before getting to La Zenia. Crazy. And the stretch between Monty and Quesada is in much need of a relay.
Steve wilkins

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Mjt222 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Just in time for the new tolls being introduced someone in 2024 no doubt, as divested by the EU
Mjt222

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby DaveP » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:51 pm

The tolls between Los Montesinos and La Zenia were the subject of debate a few years ago when the Benidorm tolls were removed. Apparently the company responsible for the 2 tolls towards La Zenia were only put in place on condition they were given a 50 year contract... hence they cannot be removed.
DaveP

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills

Postby El Stevo » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:56 pm

Be interesting to know the views of our N332 traffic advisors.
El Stevo

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso, Quesada

Postby Darro » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:15 am

DaveP wrote:Apparently the company responsible for the 2 tolls towards La Zenia were only put in place on condition they were given a 50 year contract... hence they cannot be removed.

"Cannot"?

Any contract can be bought out, it's just a question of the price!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral