Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Advice needed please.

Re: Advice needed please.

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:11 pm

I couldn't work out how to do that on the app

bgrant26 wrote:I signed up to miDGT app a few days ago, which holds copies of all your car documents including your driving licence. I noticed this morning that Correos have a driving licence replacement service for €30.50. You need to attend the post office and supply the necessary documents. The copy of driving licence on the miDGT app might be sufficient. Might be worth a try.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paul Uden » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:43 pm

jpeg wrote:Not true the Passport is the only legal way to prove you identity and as a foreigner you should be carrying it all the time

I beleive on the TIE it says this is not a proof of identity

Mine doesn't. Where did you get that information from please? TIE stands for Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero or 'Foreigners Identity Card' and, unlike a passport, contains my unique fingerprint so I find it hard to believe it is not a legal proof of identity. I never carry my passport unless I'm leaving Spanish territory so would like to know for sure whether I should start?
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Juanita » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:20 pm

I fail to see how TIE cards are not proof of identity. As Paul says it has both a photo and fingerprint.
I do not carry either for fear of losing them or bag being stolen. If police were to ask for ID I am sure they should accept me presenting said documents to our local police station.
Juanita

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:31 pm

Only originals I carry are driving licence and sip card
Last edited by Chrisdee on Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisdee

Postby Adey » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:52 pm

Juanita wrote:I fail to see how TIE cards are not proof of identity. As Paul says it has both a photo and fingerprint.
I do not carry either for fear of losing them or bag being stolen. If police were to ask for ID I am sure they should accept me presenting said documents to our local police station.

I was under the impression that if you carried your TIE, then there was no requirement to also carry your passport with you in Spain, but according to the Policia National website that is not correct.

https://www.policia.es/_es/extranjeria_extranjeros.php

The Foreigner's Card is the unique and exclusive document intended to provide documentation to foreigners in a situation of legal permanence in Spain, for which purpose the recipients of the same must complete the procedures established for its delivery.
The art. 13.1 of LO 4/2015 on the Protection of Citizen Security, establishes that foreigners who are in Spanish territory have the right and obligation to keep and carry with them the documentation that proves their identity issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin. or of origin, as well as the one that accredits their regular situation in Spain.
According to the previous precepts, the foreigner must prove his identity through the documentation provided by his country, not through the TIE, which proves his administrative situation (not his identity).
TIE holders are obliged to carry said document with them, as well as to show it when required by the Authority or its agents without prejudice to proving their identity through their valid passport or similar document.

Said Card accredits the legal permanence of foreigners in Spain, and that the authorization or recognized right to remain in Spanish territory for a period of more than six months has been granted, in accordance with current regulations.
The Foreigner's Card is personal and non-transferable, and the holder is responsible for custody and preservation of the document.
Adey

Which part of Spain are you from?: Jacarilla

Postby RJC » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:42 am

https://n26.com/en-eu/blog/what-is-a-tie

Good article explaining TIE and NIE
RJC

Postby Paul Uden » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:50 am

Adey wrote:
Juanita wrote:I fail to see how TIE cards are not proof of identity. As Paul says it has both a photo and fingerprint.

I was under the impression that if you carried your TIE, then there was no requirement to also carry your passport with you in Spain, but according to the Policia National website that is not correct.

https://www.policia.es/_es/extranjeria_extranjeros.php

The Foreigner's Card is the unique and exclusive document intended to provide documentation to foreigners in a situation of legal permanence in Spain, for which purpose the recipients of the same must complete the procedures established for its delivery.
The art. 13.1 of LO 4/2015 on the Protection of Citizen Security, establishes that foreigners who are in Spanish territory have the right and obligation to keep and carry with them the documentation that proves their identity issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin. or of origin, as well as the one that accredits their regular situation in Spain.
According to the previous precepts, the foreigner must prove his identity through the documentation provided by his country, not through the TIE, which proves his administrative situation (not his identity).
TIE holders are obliged to carry said document with them, as well as to show it when required by the Authority or its agents without prejudice to proving their identity through their valid passport or similar document.

Said Card accredits the legal permanence of foreigners in Spain, and that the authorization or recognized right to remain in Spanish territory for a period of more than six months has been granted, in accordance with current regulations.
The Foreigner's Card is personal and non-transferable, and the holder is responsible for custody and preservation of the document.

Thank you for the info. So this also makes it compulsory to own a passport even if you have no intention of ever travelling abroad. It is certainly very odd that a card which is literally called an 'identity card' cannot be used to prove your identity. It also has additional personal details included within it that a passport doesn't have such as your fingerprint and home address. You can get on a domestic flight using a TIE and not a passport. I usually have my physical TIE, SIP and driving licence with me, but that's it and I don't think I'm going to change that. I have photos of every document I possess on my phone as back up if necessary.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Darro » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:30 am

The documents available in the MiDGT app are legally valid so there is no need to carry hard copies be they original or copies.

Whatever the rules say there is no way on this earth am I am carrying my passport around with me, I have a photocopy in my wallet and photos on my phone and in emails sent to myself and if those are not enough to convince whomever that I am who a say then so be it!

Chrisdee:If you have installed and signed into the app correctly using a digital certificate then your DL should automatically be there along with copies of your car documents if you have one registered in your name.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:20 am

Darro wrote:The documents available in the MiDGT app are legally valid so there is no need to carry hard copies be they original o

Ah ha, I haven't got a digital certificate, need to do that as seems necessary these days plus it's dad's car I drive so in his name. So not going to work for me at the moment. Should really get car transferred into my name as he no longer drives. I thought you just downloaded your licence etc.
Thanks for advice.

Chrisdee:If you have installed and signed into the app correctly using a digital certificate then your DL should automatically be there along with copies of your car documents if you have one registered in your name.
Chrisdee

Postby jpeg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:10 pm

Darro wrote:The documents available in the MiDGT app are legally valid so there is no need to carry hard copies be they original or copies.

Whatever the rules say there is no way on this earth am I am carrying my passport around with me, I have a photocopy in my wallet and photos on my phone and in emails sent to myself and if those are not enough to convince whomever that I am who a say then so be it!

Somebody else that lives in spain but not prepared to obey the rules
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

PreviousNext