Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Air con meter jammed! Help!

Re: Air con meter jammed! Help!

Postby marcliff » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:35 pm

The decree chrisdee points out was issued by the Junta de Andalucia only and is not mirrored in either the Valencia rules nor the National government ones.
Indeed, the rules on aircon in every rented property also only applies to Andalucia.

The Valencian DOGV does not mention charges for aircon but does mention utilities must be provided in the rental charge.

That DOGV lists 3 types of tourist rentals being standard. primera, superior
Aircon is not mandatory in standard accommodation.
It is required in living areas in primera accommodation but not obligatory in bedrooms in primera properties.
It is mandatory in living areas and bedrooms in superior properties.

Heating (from October to April) is virtually the same except that primera properties must have heating in bedrooms as well as living areas.

Regarding some of the guests I can recount a couple of stories.
1. We were passing a property owned by some non res friends and saw the utility room in the back was swinging open and as set of keys in the lock. The back door was also wide open. We didn't know if anyone was renting so knocked the back door, no answer. Went in calling out was anyone there. No answer. Aircon was on maximum cold downstairs and upstairs. Nobody upstairs and there was a couple renting but had gone out for the day. Also left a set of keys in the front door as well on the outside.

2. Neighbour of ours rents his house. One family left and there was a six week gap until the next renters came. Cleaners went in the week before the new renters arrived and found the aircon blasting out upstairs and downstairs and had been for the 5 weeks.

So a way of switching it off, either by meter or one of those sensors that turns off if unoccupied, would seem the sensible thing to do. There's also a card system that can be used so you don't have to make sure you have enough coins (and jam wrong 'uns in the slot).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Paul Uden » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:55 pm

The category of property you have is stated on the tourist licence. E = Standard, P = Primera and S = Superior. Without inspection our villa was automatically categorised as standard, which means no air con is required in the Valencian region. Maybe yours is the same. If you are not 'required' to provide it I would have thought it is acceptable to charge for it as an 'extra' although we didn't. As long as your advertisement is clear I can't see a problem.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Blakemasters1 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:17 pm

Thank you Marcliff!!!
What an answer!! Factual, informative, helpful, polite and very clear!
Blakemasters1

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Paul Uden » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:11 pm

And after all this, did you find a handyman?
Paul Uden

Postby The Rower » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:03 am

We had an Electrician change a coin meter over to a card meter about 4-5 years ago, when we rented our apartment. I can’t find his number to hand, but can probably dig further and locate his details if your problem hasn’t been resolved.
The Rower

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Blakemasters1 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:50 am

Yes thank you Paul Udden - all sorted now !
Many thanks to you & others that tried to positively offer help & advice!
Blakemasters1

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Paul Uden » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:25 am

The Rower wrote:We had an Electrician change a coin meter over to a card meter about 4-5 years ago, when we rented our apartment. I can’t find his number to hand, but can probably dig further and locate his details if your problem hasn’t been resolved.

Great to hear the initial problem has been resolved and we've all learned a bit more about aircon in rentals in the process! Steve Birkett installed a card system at one of my client's properties when I was a property manager. It's probably 10 years ago now, but he's still very much in business and as a Spanish-qualified electrician and aircon expert he will be able to advise anyone who may be considering something similar. It's usually best to email him.
Paul Uden

Previous