Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Importing a car from the uk

Importing a car from the uk

Postby paddy moffatt » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:04 pm

Hello this may have been asked before if so sorry to bore you!
I have heard a couple of different opinions on this so thought I would see what facts are out there.
1. There’s a heavy tax on imported cars , does anyone know how these are determined?
2. I was told that you are allowed to bring your car from the uk tax free (only one time). Does anyone know if this is true?
paddy moffatt

Which part of Spain are you from?: Queseda

Re: Importing a car from the uk

Postby Bee » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:09 pm

You can import your car tax free if you are moving permanently to Spain and it has to be done within 6 months(?) of your move. The taxes for importing a vehicle from outside the EU if you are a non-resident work out about 30/33%. These include VAT 23% and import duty varies on the emissions. Say 10/12% It can still be viable if you have a good second-hand car that you want to bring across. The VAT is what makes the importing very expensive from the UK. On the other hand if the vehicle is first registered in Northern Ireland you don't pay the VAT.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby George Cornelius » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:37 am

I found it a minefield until I found these people speak to them its a great and when I say great I mean GREAT they can help you

Car Registrations Spainhttp://www.car-registrations-spain.com
George Cornelius

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby paddy moffatt » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:01 pm

Another Question: What about importing from from the south of Ireland, I.e an Irish registered car?
paddy moffatt

Which part of Spain are you from?: Queseda

Postby Paul M » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:15 pm

Quote: You can import your car tax free if you are moving permanently to Spain and it has to be done within 6 months(?) of your move.

Is this still the case post Brexit Bee?
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby marcliff » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:38 pm

Paul M wrote:Quote: You can import your car tax free if you are moving permanently to Spain and it has to be done within 6 months(?) of your move.

Is this still the case post Brexit Bee?

If you are importing a car from UK as part of taking up residency you can do so with no taxes providing you were resident in UK for at least 12 months before, purchased the car more than 6 months before and are no longer a UK tax resident (eg with an NLV).

Rules are pretty much the same as pre Brexit if becoming resident and you can do so for up to a certain period after taking up residency but not sure if 6 months is still the case and I do recall it being mentioned as 3 months on here (or somewhere). You must apply to reregister the vehicle within 30 days of its arrival.

You can also apply for the tax exemption if you can prove you owned the car before 1st Jan 2021.

Non resident would pay 21% VAT and 10% duty and an emissions tax (based on CO2 levels) if not brining it in as part of residency but can be registered on Spanish plates.
If staying on UK plates, it can be used for up to six months in one year and can stay in Spain provided it is not used for more than 6 months. It must go back to UK for its MoT as it must be road legal for insurance, MoT and road tax for the entire time (that bit was edited as it depends on whether it is rematriculated or not).

From ROI it is a part of the EU so those rules apply. Owned the car in its origin country for more than 6 months and paid VAT in its own country. If bought tax free, 21% VAT to be paid in Spain.
Last edited by marcliff on Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Bee » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:49 pm

Thanks Marcliff. I kept deleting my reply accidentally for some reason and didn't have the will to start all over again. It must be the heat here in Spain and not being used to seeing the sun.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Return to Quesada general discussion