Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Driving to Spain

Driving to Spain

Postby kevinchetwynd » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:21 pm

Hi
We will be travelling to Quesada in September
Our route will be Calais Rouen Bordeaux san sabastian staying overnight in Pamplona
Next day to Zaragoza Valencia Quesada.
Journey home will be the reverse.
We will be travelling home around November 25th
Do we need to carry snow chains to do this journey
Not sure of the legalities mixed information
Any assistance appreciated
kevinchetwynd

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Re: Driving to Spain

Postby marcliff » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:32 pm

They are not mandatory but recommended from November if crossing the Pyrenees. If there is an R-412 sign on display (with a speed limit) either snow chains or winter tyres become mandatory on those roads.

Best to carry a set for your return journey just in case as a 200 euro fine could be levied for not having them or the correct tyres.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby TimSha1213 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:04 pm

Do snow socks count ?

Thanks in advance
TimSha1213

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby daz » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:55 pm

Have done this journey 3 or 4 times a year for many years now, at least one journey a year in winter, only ever seen snow twice at the Pyrenees, Both times the services had it completely clear off the road and we drove straight through. And now, with the new multi million pound new road network on the Spain side of the hill, the chance of snow being an issue must be virtually nil. So, I think you’l be unlucky if you get caught out.

As for the legality of chains. there are many stories about needing winter tyres, and / or chains / socks. From all my research into it, they are advisory, because, if snow was ever to be so bad, the police can either make you park up and wait it out in your car if it’s too bad to turn back, or make you turn back and return another day when the weather has improved. I’ve had chains for many years for that reason “just incase I’m stopped”, but never needed them, so far.

As said, in all my years, never had sight of any snow on the road issue. Hope that info helps and you have a safe journey.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby edsally » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:23 am

If your trip is the first time then I would say that your first leg is a little too long. It’s a very long way from Calais to Pamplona!
edsally

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby kevinchetwynd » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:39 am

edsally wrote:If your trip is the first time then I would say that your first leg is a little too long. It’s a very long way from Calais to Pamplona!

We have done this trip twice now with same stopovers but returned end of October but staying until end November this time.
That’s why I asked about the snow chains situation
kevinchetwynd

Postby Darro » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:49 pm

You can out the speculation and guesswork by asking Google.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... 89?lang=en
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Tonbar » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:14 pm

Too far to make Pamplona your first stop. 400kms with stops is a safe distance. I suggest Orleans then Perpignan then into Spain. French motorways are generally clear but you could hit some on the way down to Orleans. After that it's clear.Otherwise I suggest From Calais get on the Auto route du sud which is a straight run south. It will mean navigating the Periferique at Paris.
Tonbar

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby kevinchetwynd » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:06 pm

edsally wrote:If your trip is the first time then I would say that your first leg is a little too long. It’s a very long way from Calais to Pamplona!

Yes it’s 700 miles I did the trip in March
kevinchetwynd

Postby Big Wheeler » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:34 pm

Google will show you umpteen routes with as many or as few tolls as you prefer. Does anybody go round the perephique?Really?
South from Calais you only pay toll between boulogne and Abbeville.Then through Rouen,biggish place but not usually too bad)and pick up A13 towards Caen.After only a few miles pick up motorway southbound via Le Mans,Tours,Poitiers and Bordeaux then A62 to Pau or A63 Bayonne and San Sebastian.If travel via Pau there is national road via Oloron into Spain via Somport tunnel.If you are into railways have a very interesting break at Canfranc station.Onwards into Spain via Jaca,Huesca and Zaragoza to quesada all toll free.
Big Wheeler

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Next

Return to Quesada general discussion