Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

SIP card cancellation

Re: SIP card cancellation

Postby Paul Uden » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:10 am

That's interesting to know Spittysmum, we try to do everything by the book too, but if you HAD piggybacked and not got your own S1 you might still have been in this situation. I am currently in communication with the Overseas Health Service in the UK and have specifically asked about this. I will post on this thread when I get the answer as it may also be useful to others who, like me, have an older partner.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby partygoer » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:42 pm

DaveP wrote:I have come across this before when the wife 'piggy backed' on the back of her husband's SIP and when he died she had to apply for a new SIP in her own right.

Spot on..that's why once you reach 65 or now 66 and have been piggy backing on your partners SIP, you should apply for your own. I had to apply for my own at 66 ( my OH hadn't died) and when I asked why, the reason was exactly what's occurred re the OP.
partygoer

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Spittysmum » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:53 pm

To partygoer…..
But I had NOT piggy backed, I had my own SIP card. It was a stupid human error that caused all this hassle. Therefore, I have to start all over again with ANOTHER S1. That was my point!!
Spittysmum

Postby partygoer » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:19 pm

Then surely they should simply reactivate your original SIP card as there hasn't been any changes.
If you had lost your original card then you would have received a replacement and not have had to submit another application surely.
partygoer

Postby Spittysmum » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:26 pm

I asked the same question, but was told it was impossible to reverse the error! You cannot argue with Spanish red tape. Even the British embassy could not intervene!! What else could I do??
Spittysmum

Postby Paul Uden » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:11 am

The answer my wife received today from the OHS is as follows: "If you were to add your husband to your S1 as a dependent and die before they reach pension age they would not be entitled to an S1 if they did not fit the criteria at the time".

So that confirms what others have said and we all suspected, you are better off with your own S1 if you are entitled to one. Don't rely on your partner, unless it is absolutely necessary, because you may lose your entitlement even if only temporarily.
Paul Uden

Postby marcliff » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:30 am

But spittysmum has said (over and over) that she did get her own S1 and received a SIP in her own name.
Unless it wasn't registered by the authorities at the time, then this is an admin error and something she doesn't need at this sad time.

Hope it's all being sorted now and wish spittysmum all the best for a quick resolution.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Paul Uden » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:42 am

marcliff wrote:But spittysmum has said (over and over) that she did get her own S1 and received a SIP in her own name.
Unless it wasn't registered by the authorities at the time, then this is an admin error and something she doesn't need at this sad time.

Hope it's all being sorted now and wish spittysmum all the best for a quick resolution.

My comment is not addressed to Spittysmum whose issue was not of her own making. We all wish her well. It is following up an earlier post I made about others who may not yet have done the same thing or realised they need to.
Paul Uden

Postby Spittysmum » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:08 pm

Shall we stop all this now, all I wanted to do was to warn others what can happen here in Spain,
And that I didn’t need all this extra hassle at this time. Thank you Marcliff for trying to intervene.
Spittysmum

Postby Paul Uden » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:13 pm

Spittysmum wrote:Shall we stop all this now, all I wanted to do was to warn others what can happen here in Spain,
And that I didn’t need all this extra hassle at this time. Thank you Marcliff for trying to intervene.

Me too. Thank you for raising the topic.
Paul Uden

PreviousNext