Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

SIP card cancellation

SIP card cancellation

Postby Spittysmum » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:17 pm

I just wanted to let people know about something that happened to me recently.
Bearing in mind, my husband died last October 28th. And I have been to our doctors at least 3 times since then. I have also collected my medicines every month since too. I went to the farmacy just over 3 weeks ago and they wouldn't let me have my medication because my card had expired!!! I have lived in Spain and been a resident since 2004!!
He told me to go to the salud and find out what had happened. Off I go, and when I get there they look on the computer and it says I am DEAD. Well obviously, im not. So she gets onto the INSS, and they confirm to her im dead so she explains that I most definitely am not, but they think I died on the same day as my husband!!! Can you believe this??? Anyway the upshot is, they cannot reverse what has happened and I have to obtain a new S1 form from England, then it has to be registered at the INSS before I can obtain a new SIP card! I've since needed more medication, which I've now had to pay for. Ive kept the receipt so I can TRY to claim back the money. (Being a pensioner, I shouldnt have to pay for my prescriptions ) I really did not need all this hassle, especially as I am still grieving for the loss of my husband. I am now waiting for the S1 to be registered here, and returned to me, so I can get a new SIP card . I wanted to put this on here just in case it might happen to anyone else.. I do hope not. Sorry its been a long post.
Spittysmum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: SIP card cancellation

Postby marcliff » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:56 pm

Well that's tugged at my heartstrings. How terrible for you. Some clerk in an office somewhere pushes the wrong button and you end up in that situation. So shocking especially as you are getting over your sad loss.

Hopefully they'll sort it out quickly and take some of the worry of you.
All the best for a quick solution and don't worry about the long post, that utter shambles deserves it.

Wishing you all the best.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Spittysmum » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:50 pm

Thank you Marcliff, you are very kind.
Spittysmum

Postby Babsie » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:06 am

so very sorry you have had that problem when you have enough to deal with. thank you bringing it to our attention. It is bad enough that the banks freeze the account when a husband or wife die, but to make a mistake like this is unforgiveable
Babsie

Postby merida » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:33 am

I am sure that everybody who has read that will be very sorry to read that disaster story.
Just wondering if that is something the UK Ambassador in Spain could help with ? Maybe Marcliff might know that.
So hope you will be able to get it all sorted out asap.
merida

Postby Spittysmum » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:12 am

I did ring the embassy, they had no idea what to do other than reapply for the S1. They were no help at all. I Did get a very kind lady in England to help me at the dwp overseas department. she took all my details over the phone and filled in the S1 while I was on the phone and emailed it over to me instantly, so I didn’t have to wait for it to arrive by post. So I was able to get the process started immediately . I’m now just waiting for the processed document to come through, so I Can get a new SIP card. But yes it is a pain that I could have done without. Thank you all for your concern, it is much appreciated.
Spittysmum

Postby Chrisdee » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:41 am

Maybe when you registered in 2004 you were a dependant on your husband and then when he died that stopped, that could be the reason you now have to apply for yourself. You may also have to pay a % for your prescriptions depending on your income. Hope it's sorted quickly
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby DaveP » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:48 am

I have come across this before when the wife 'piggy backed' on the back of her husband's SIP and when he died she had to apply for a new SIP in her own right.
DaveP

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills

Postby Paul Uden » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:00 am

If Chrisdee and DaveP are right then this is a learning point for everyone of a certain age. My wife piggybacked on my SIP for many years, but when she reached state pension age we got her one in her own right to potentially avoid this very situation. I won't get an S1 for another 8 years yet and, although I could now piggyback on my wife's, I am choosing to stay independent for the same reason.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Spittysmum » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:06 am

To chrisdee and Davep, yes I did piggyback on my husbands sip card for a few years, like everybody does, until I reached retirement age, 7 years later. But, when I reached retirement age I obtained my own S1. So your theories are incorrect. My husband and I always did everything legally and by the book. It’s like Marcliff said, some stupid busybody at the INSS pressed the wrong button, and unfortunately, it couldn’t be undone! I just put this on here, so others could be aware. It also took them ten months to decide I’d already died!!!
Spittysmum

Next