Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Facebook marketplace - pitfalls?

Facebook marketplace - pitfalls?

Postby mandkv » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:05 am

I have a few items for sale on TQ buy and sell, that were in our new house, but no interest so far.

I need to make room for our own furniture, so put a couple of ads on F/B late last night.

When I got up at 6.30, I had six messages, asking if still available, for my single bed base.

Great, but then the cynic in me thought, "what's the catch?"

Why would six different people be sending messages overnight?

Is it a safe way to sell stuff, or are there some scams I should be aware of, bearing in mind it will be cash only?
mandkv

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Re: Facebook marketplace - pitfalls?

Postby David Stokes » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:18 am

They will probably ask for your bank details so they can pay you. Or ask you to pay a deposit to a courier who will then come and collect it with the cash. Either way a scam.
Overnight posts are going to be international, probably from east of here. You wouldn't buy a second hand bed internationally would you. Don't touch them.

I never buy off FB either. So many adverts are scams. I have checked the veracity of several websites advertising bargains on FB, and almost without exception they are deemed fake or not known.
David Stokes

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Paul Uden » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:03 am

As you are new to this, this article may help you:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/money-mentor ... h-out-for/

However, I've sold on FB before. If you have put "buyer collects" and "cash only" on your ad and stick to it I don't see a problem. These enquirers may not all be genuine so follow the advice in the article and avoid the situations mentioned by David Stokes. If it still worries you I would consider donating the furniture to a charity as there are a lot of needy people in the area.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby mandkv » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:27 am

Thank you both for your very helpful replies.

David, you were spot on, I've already had a few complicated financial offers, on a 40 euro bed!!

Needless to say, I binned them off.

Paul, I'm not completely new to it, having bought and sold cars, motorhomes and all sorts, on many platforms.

However, there were always sharks about, but nothing like now, and the scams are far more sophisticated.

And don't worry, the charity shops here and at home have done ok out of me, and look likely to do so again very shortly!
mandkv

Postby camionpilot » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:39 pm

Face to face transactions in cash is the only way to go , stops the scammers in there tracks ..! ;)
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Kaz123 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:37 pm

I only sell on local Quesada groups now as I also had the scammers when I put it on Facebay & marketplace
Kaz123

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Neradd » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:33 pm

Paul Uden wrote:As you are new to this, this article may help you:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/money-mentor ... h-out-for/

However, I've sold on FB before. If you have put "buyer collects" and "cash only" on your ad and stick to it I don't see a problem. These enquirers may not all be genuine so follow the advice in the article and avoid the situations mentioned by David Stokes. If it still worries you I would consider donating the furniture to a charity as there are a lot of needy people in the area.

Paul is correct.

But I would also add. A lot depends on you personal circimstances.
Remember you are telling someone where you live.

Is that Permanent ? Infrequent, Alone ? Where? Male ? Female? Age?
Please Don't answer the question, but a complete stranger, a potential crook who you invite to your home from a global social media site will soon work out if you are vulnerable or not

Whilst this forum might not give you the exposure and quick sales you want at a price you would like, I would suggest it gives a sense of security

Facebook on the other hand, whilst it certainly has it's advantages, it also has many dissadvantages...

What is right for Me, might not be right for you...

But the fact you have taken the time to ask the question...

Maybe Paul has given you the answer you are looking for
Neradd

Which part of Spain are you from?: Marquesa

Postby mandkv » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:25 pm

Well, I wasted about two hours this morning, dealing with a dozen or more enquiries, before deciding my time is too precious for this nonsense.
Charity pick up for all items now booked.
Thanks to all who gave advice.
mandkv

Return to Quesada general discussion