Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Health care in spain

Health care in spain

Postby karen jones123 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:03 pm

My husband receives his healthcare from spain not the UK as he receives a small pension from spain ( also a full UK state pension. When I became of pension age the manager of our health centre arranged for me to be added to my husbands Spanish health care although I have the S1 form from the UK which I haven't used. My question is should my husband pass before me will my Spanish health care be cancelled.
Originally my husbands health care was funded by the UK when he started to receive a Spanish pension the UK said spain should now be responsible for his healthcare.
karen jones123

Which part of Spain are you from?: la siesta

Re: Health care in spain

Postby Chrisdee » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:13 pm

This was spoken about a few days ago, so check out that post. I think it was suggested to apply for your own card from the Social Services office
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paul Uden » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:13 pm

Don't wait to find out. You are best using your S1 to arrange your healthcare as an independent individual. Then you can be sure the care will continue seamlessly if you outlive husband.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby gracie » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:13 am

You definitely need to get your own healthcare, a friend of mine went to a hospital appointment a few years ago to find it had been cancelled, she than found out as her husband had died and she was piggy backing on his, her health care had been withdrawn.
gracie

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby karen jones123 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:21 pm

Not quite the same Chris Dee as my husband s healthcare is funded by Spain not the UK. as his wife I am covered by his health care from spain not the uk.
karen jones123

Which part of Spain are you from?: la siesta

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:45 pm

I'd try the social service office, get an appointment and find out from them what's required. Only a couple of hours of your time then you'd know for sure.

karen jones123 wrote:Not quite the same Chris Dee as my husband s healthcare is funded by Spain not the UK. as his wife I am covered by his health care from spain not the uk.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paul Uden » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:15 pm

I am funded by Spain too and my wife, who is older, has 'piggy-backed' my SIP since the noughties, but as soon as she reached UK pension age and was eligible for the S1 in her own right, we got her transferred over. Much more certainty for the future should anything happen to me and also independence for her. From memory it also gives her more rights to access the NHS if need be, including a UK EHIC.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Darro » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:32 am

If you are in receipt of a UK state pension, not just of pensionable age, then you are entitled to an S1 which for an expat is the gold standard for healthcare so yes, you absolutely should get and register your own.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral