Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Water and energy savings

Water and energy savings

Postby Kevin & Carol » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:52 am

I seen on an earlier post asking how to save water and energy. I thought I would post a few I did in England which now I do at my villa.
Put in a reasonable sized pebble in my toilet system which raises the water level so you use less water each flush. Used a bag in England which we got from our council to put in.

Water saving shower head it keeps the same pressure as it mixes air so you can save up to 50%.

We use a Breville one cup as you only boil what you want. Did the maths at home on the cost of boiling a kettle against a one cup, it saves me a small fortune a year in England as there are 5 adults living at home.

If anybody else have any other ideas please share.
Kevin & Carol

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Water and energy savings

Postby Steve wilkins » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:15 pm

When cooking on the hob, like frying eggs or something, i cook about 3/4's of the way through then turn the power off. The hob remains hot enough to carry on cooking until finished.
Steve wilkins

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby daz » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:07 pm

Ref water saving with the cistern, I have an old plastic 750ml milk bottle, filled with water and the top back on, just stood inside the cistern, means I save approx 7.5L if it’s flushed 10 times a day, 2.7 cubic M a year.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby daz » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:23 pm

Saving on water tank heating. We have an eighty litre tank. All we need it for is washing pots once or twice a day and provide for two showers. So rather than just leaving it on full time, we have a 24hr segmented timer (5eu for leroys), it’s on just 2hrs to 3 hrs a day (depending on time of year), broken up into half hour segments spread across the 24hrs of the day. We have more than enough hot water, and even then cold still needs to mixed in too. Electric bills for the whole apartment (includes electric for cooking too), in summer is only approx 25eu a month, and even in a couple of winter months, have never been above 52eu a month. And that’s regardless of what ever else we use for heating. If that helps anyone?
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby Gustav » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:28 am

Thats good , my standing charges are nearly that meter rental etc plus electric used on top,
Use pot washing water to flush the toilet, save shower water for same stand in a big bowl, this power/water saving etc is also saving the planet for our grandchildren,
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby andywyatt » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:18 am

I have ordered an air fryer oven, they say they are energy efficient compared to the traditional fan oven, we will see.
andywyatt

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Brewingdog » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:49 am

Some good tips
Brewingdog

Which part of Spain are you from?: Salford