Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Bigger roundabouts?

Re: Bigger roundabouts?

Postby marcliff » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:19 pm

iant wrote:The ones I have seen all appear to be one lane approaching the roundabout so what was the issue??? Must be costing a fortune. Repair the motorway as it resembles a big dipper in some parts.

Correct, one lane leading to the roundabout and one off. Trouble is, people use the two lanes on the roundabout to overtake and then cut in to go onto the one lane leading off.
There have been several accidents on the road from Rojales to San Fulgencio so just having one lane makes sense.

And, no, not just the Spanish. It happened to me on the roundabout from Rojales where this a turn to Guardamar and straight on to San Fulgencio. I kept on the inside lane as I was going straight ahead and a Belgium reg car behind me used the outside lane to overtake and then cut me up to go straight on.

Plus followed a UK car from the med centre in Quesada all the way to Consum and he didn't use an indicator once plus did the tear along dotted lane bit in the two lane roads.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby brandyboy » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:38 pm

Strange how people can determine what nationality the driver is, even when the majority of cars are carrying Spanish number plates.
brandyboy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby marcliff » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:43 pm

brandyboy wrote:Strange how people can determine what nationality the driver is, even when the majority of cars are carrying Spanish number plates.

Just in case it has slipped your attention, cars nowadays, listen in as I will type this very slowly for you to understand, have a country letter listed on their numberplates. Honest, it's true.
The first one had a B on the numberplate so Belgium.
And then I said a UK car because it had UK next to its UK numberplate.

Every day's a schoolday.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Gustav » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:55 am

brandyboy wrote:Strange how people can determine what nationality the driver is, even when the majority of cars are carrying Spanish number plates.

Its easy, the cars have a country letter on the number plate, and uk cars easy to identify .
Theres a specsavers in Guardamar if needed.
Gustav

Postby Darro » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:27 am

"I kept on the inside lane as I was going straight ahead and a Belgium reg car behind me used the outside lane to overtake and then cut me up to go straight on"

I think you've got your insides and outsides back to front.

It may be common nomenclature for a multi lane road (although IMO still rather nonsensical - 'inside' or 'outside' what exactly?) but in terms of a roundabout and its central island logically inside can only mean closest to it (or LH lane) and outside the farthest away (or RH lane).

The rules do not prohibit overtaking on roundabouts nor do they state categorically which lane should be used when circumnavigating it, the one strict rule however is that you should not exit from the inside (or LH) lane.

If you say arrived at a roundabout in the LH lane with a slow vehicle in the RH lane there would be nothing whatsoever wrong with overtaking it on the roundabout so long as you could safely move into the outside RH lane before exiting.

'Safely' is the key word there and the reason accidents occur is because drivers misjudge that, not necessarily due to the way the roundabout is being used.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby brandyboy » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:09 am

marcliff wrote:

Just in case it has slipped your attention, cars nowadays, listen in as I will type this very slowly for you to understand, have a country letter listed on their numberplates. Honest, it's true.

Every day's a schoolday.

I’m sorry but you seem to have missed the point I was making.
I said that people can identify the nationality of a driver even when the vast majority carry Spanish plates. For instance, how can you tell a Spaniard is a bad driver when all Spaniards would be driving a Spanish registered vehicle, along with thousands of tourists in hire cars and thousands of other foreigners who own Spanish plated cars?
So if someone performs a bad manoeuvre in a Spanish matriculated vehicle, how can you tell the driver’s nationality?
That’s the point I was making.
As I say, I’m sorry if I phrased it wrongly.
I was not having a dig at you personally Marcliff, it was a general comment.
brandyboy

Postby MacinSpain » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:23 am

Darrow I'm not sure if your British or not but the inside lane to the British means the lane nearest the kerb and the outside lane is the one nearest the roundabout, therefore like Marcliff said he was going strait ahead on the inside lane when the Belgium car cut across from the outside lane.
Another example is when your driving on a three lane motorway the inside lane is nearest the kerb then you have the middle lane(that a lot of people hog) then you have the outside lane which is classed as the fast lane and runs along the side of the central reservation. Same goes for two lane roads inside lane near the kerb outside lane next to it, so logically it's the same when entering a roundabout.
I believe Spanish Road Traffic law is that the inside lane on a roundabout is the legal lane for taking any exit and if you have a car that's cuts you off by coming in from the outside lane then they will be culpable in any RTColision. Hope this helps.
MacinSpain

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paul58 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:49 am

Lockey57 wrote:Looks like they are changing them to one lane rather than 2

Yes they are changing them to one slightly wider lane. I think it's a great idea and should reduce accidents.

The slightly wider lane should allow traffic to pass if a car breaks down on the roundabout and all the ones I've seen only have one approaching lane.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby blingle » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:44 am

brandyboy wrote:
marcliff wrote:

Every day's a schoolday.

I’m sorry but you seem to have missed the point I was making.
I said that people can identify the nationality of a driver even when the vast majority carry Spanish plates. For instance, how can you tell a Spaniard is a bad driver when all Spaniards would be driving a Spanish registered vehicle, along with thousands of tourists in hire cars and thousands of other foreigners who own Spanish plated cars?
So if someone performs a bad manoeuvre in a Spanish matriculated vehicle, how can you tell the driver’s nationality?
That’s the point I was making.
As I say, I’m sorry if I phrased it wrongly.
I was not having a dig at you personally Marcliff, it was a general comment.

I don't think you need to apologise.

Some of the "beloved" on here are just plain rude sometimes, under the guise of being passive/aggressive.

I think sometimes they believe their own hype.
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:48 am

N332 site explains it in pictures and videos, have a look

MacinSpain wrote:Darrow I'm not sure if your British or not but the inside lane to the British means the lane nearest the kerb and the outside lane is the one nearest the roundabout, therefore like Marcliff said he was going strait ahead on the inside lane when the Belgium car cut across from the outside lane.
Another example is when your driving on a three lane motorway the inside lane is nearest the kerb then you have the middle lane(that a lot of people hog) then you have the outside lane which is classed as the fast lane and runs along the side of the central reservation. Same goes for two lane roads inside lane near the kerb outside lane next to it, so logically it's the same when entering a roundabout.
I believe Spanish Road Traffic law is that the inside lane on a roundabout is the legal lane for taking any exit and if you have a car that's cuts you off by coming in from the outside lane then they will be culpable in any RTColision. Hope this helps.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

PreviousNext