Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Non resident long-term insurance

Non resident long-term insurance

Postby Iancorker » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:26 pm

We are looking coming out for 180 days a year; my wife has a German passport, so we could stay over 90 days at a time, if we wanted. We need basic insurance just for medical emergencies; we don’t need baggage, cancellation cover etc.

Any ideas on who would be suitable? Both aged 72.
Iancorker

Which part of Spain are you from?: Algorfa

Re: Non resident long-term insurance

Postby Bee » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:01 pm

You would have emergency cover on your European Health insurance Card (EHIC) for 90 days. Then again how would they know you were there for more than 90 days? Isn't Most other holiday insurance 90 days also? Private Health Insurance is usually only issued on a 12 months basis. Hopefully someone will know differently.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby marcliff » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:34 pm

The European Direct Contact Centre replied to a similar request. It says that both the EU citizen and the UK citizen can remain in a Schengen country for more than 90 days up to 180 days but both must register their stay. In Spain this would mean going on to the register of EU foreign citizens residing in Spain. (If applying for this make sure the de no residente box is ticked).

It also says the UK passport holder will have their passports stamped on entry and exit and must show proof of the time they travelled with the EU citizen if travelling alone in the future. The 90 days in 180 rule will not apply if travelling together.
So that's how they know how long you have been here. Like other things here, it would probably depend on how up on current rules the border guard is or if he's won the lottery that day or caught his missus in flagrante with his next door neighbour or the cat peed in his boots.

Regarding the insurance, I think Bee is right. Saga used to do longer travel insurance but now restricts it to a maximum of 90 days in the EU. And normal medical insurance would normally be for a full year. So the GHIC cards would cover you for emergency and any ongoing necessary treatment.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Paul58 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:31 pm

Iancorker wrote:We are looking coming out for 180 days a year; my wife has a German passport, so we could stay over 90 days at a time, if we wanted. We need basic insurance just for medical emergencies; we don’t need baggage, cancellation cover etc.

Any ideas on who would be suitable? Both aged 72.

You would need to register at the National police office, as EU citizens, if you wish to stay longer than 90 days. You will need to provide proof of full heathcare and proof of sufficient funds for your stay (1 x PREM).

Your healthcare could be paid for by your country of origin, if you qualify for state pension. In the UK this is known an S1, I'm not sure what proof your wife would need to provide.

Edit....Just re-read original post and noticed that you are UK passport holder. Your passport will be stamped on entry & exit, which would make it difficult to use your EHIC/Global health card flying under the radar, so to speak.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby marcliff » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:46 pm

Paul58 wrote:[

You would need to register at the National police office, as EU citizens, if you wish to stay longer than 90 days. You will need to provide proof of full heathcare and proof of sufficient funds for your stay (1 x PREM).

Your healthcare could be paid for by your country of origin, if you qualify for state pension. In the UK this is known an S1, I'm not sure what proof your wife would need to provide.

Edit....Just re-read original post and noticed that you are UK passport holder. Your passport will be stamped on entry & exit, which would make it difficult to use your EHIC/Global health card flying under the radar, so to speak.

Doubt you can get an S1 to cover you for 6 months. It transfers your healthcare to Spain as a resident.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Paul58 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:13 pm

marcliff wrote:
Paul58 wrote:[

Doubt you can get an S1 to cover you for 6 months. It transfers your healthcare to Spain as a resident.

You're right but I figured that if you're going need full healthcare at 72 it's going to be very expensive. O/P is a UK passport holder, so is going to be struggling whatever he decides. Hanging on to an EU citizen, who also doesn't want to be resident, to try and circumvent the 90 rule is worth a try but it could end badly.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Mac3blade » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:27 am

Most insurance companies only cover travellers for a certain number of days but don’t know any that cover for 90 days. I think I’d book a couple of flights and head home for a visit, surely that would break the number of days you’d be in Spain.
We’ve always pay for travel insurance and wouldn’t travel without it. ‘Phone around and make enquiries. Start with Saga. Try Google too. I know people who are covered by their Credit Cards, check into that. If you or your wife were employed by The Civil Service, they off insurance too.
I’d appreciate if you let us know how you fare. Good luck.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Bee » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:36 am

Don't give up because of health insurance. If you search about you will come up with a bare minimum policy that will cover you for emergency hospital stays if you are outside of the EHIC 90 days.

On a google search here are a few health insurance Companies that come up for Spain. If you take health insurance in UK some policies come with travel insurance as part of the package but usually have the 90 days stipulation. A couple of things which would make private health insurance more affordable are:

"Level of cover on day-to-day medical expenses:

If you rarely go to the doctor or need medicines, you can keep your premium down by reducing the amount of cover for these costs. Cover on day-to-day GP bills, physio visits etc may not be your priority and you can adjust your cover accordingly and see how that reduces your costs.

Excess

If you’re comfortable choosing a higher excess, a direct result will be that your policy will be cheaper and more affordable. If you believe that a higher level of excess on your policy is manageable then this is a great way to lower your premium"

Caser

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 59G02eovwy

Besure

https://www.bsurehealthspain.com/over-7 ... lth-cover/

ASSA

https://www.asssa.es/en/landing/health- ... rUQAvD_BwE

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby suzi wong » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:50 am

Be careful with UK holiday insurance companies,quite a few only cover over 70’s for 35 days at a time,even for annual policies.
suzi wong

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 11

Postby abritabroad » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:08 am

I was in torrievja hospital the other day and noticed on the information board that if you need to be treated using your EHIC you must show your travel insurance.
abritabroad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrievja

Next