Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Bank charges

Bank charges

Postby Bricklayer » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:02 am

Hi
Anyone know what a “non resident management fee” is.

Me and the missus have a joint account and have just been charged with 2 non resident management fees, €36 ish each.

We already pay a hefty fee for the account??

Seems a limitless cheeky as I have not asked my bank to handle any of my non resident matters.

Paul
Bricklayer

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Bank charges

Postby marcliff » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:24 am

Every two years you have to provide a certificate to the tax authorities that you are still non resident (ie non income tax residents). The bank submits this certificate on your behalf but, of course, makes a charge for doing so.

You can be fined up to 150 euro for not doing so though this would be rare.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby suzi wong » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:50 am

Hi,
Just open a Wise or similar account & ditch the Spanish bank.Do a search on here.,loads of posts about doing it.
suzi wong

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 11

Postby Bricklayer » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:55 pm

marcliff wrote:Every two years you have to provide a certificate to the tax authorities that you are still non resident (ie non income tax residents). The bank submits this certificate on your behalf but, of course, makes a charge for doing so.

You can be fined up to 150 euro for not doing so though this would be rare.

Hi Marcliff, thanks for your reply…

They submit the certificates on our behalf without asking or giving me a quote for doing this. Never right!!

Is this something we can do ourselves. You would think they get this info from our annual non residents tax?
Bricklayer

Postby marcliff » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:58 pm

Yes, you can do it yourself. It will cost you two appointments at a foreigners' office or National Police station and a fee of 15 euro each. I think you complete the EX15 form and it will take 10 days to receive it. You may also need another certificate from the Hacienda which you apply for on line but no charge is made however this could be covered by the foreigners' office fee to get it on your behalf. You will need to register with them first. You will save 10.50 per year by doing this.

It was probably explained when you opened the account but there is so much to take in at the outset that it's difficult to remember everything. It was certainly in my T&Cs from the bank when I opened a non res account back in the mists of time (15 years ago now).
marcliff

Postby Bee » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:53 pm

You don't need a Spanish Bank Account as a non-resident. Open an account with one of the on-line Banks like Wise or Revolut or whoever. Anybody but a high street Spanish Bank. Once you have transfered all your D/Ds to your new account then close your Spanish bank account.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby marcliff » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:38 pm

Yep, already mentioned by Suzi Wong and myself that you won't pay these charges if you open a EU online account. Fortunately, when I opened a non res account the charges they now impose weren't there if you had a regular pension and insurance policy. The non res certificate was charged for but was about 21 euro at the time.

Now I wouldn't dream of having a non resident account but we only had that for 3 years before becoming residents and now get no bank charges at all. Even credit cards are free if you use them 3 times a quarter.

Then again, at least you can open non res accounts here as a foreigner, something that is almost impossible to do in UK unless you pay rather a lot for an offshore account (I was quoted 1500 dollars start up and 500 dollars a year maintenance) . Even UK citizens find it difficult to open accounts if they are non residents.
marcliff

Postby RJC » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:32 am

With a joint account,there should only be the one charge - this is the position with Caixa
I think this is your position
The non resident charge is something separate and would have been set up with your agreement.
There are ways to not have to pay charges, namely buying insurance or having a monthly payment in.
RJC

Postby ramenta » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:52 am

Hi,
Sabadell is charging me 40 Euros / Quarter!
The thing is that I need a Spanish account for example to pay Hidraqua which accepts only Spanish
Banks working with la Caixa (their bank)..
ramenta

Postby Bricklayer » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:05 am

ramenta wrote:Hi,
Sabadell is charging me 40 Euros / Quarter!
The thing is that I need a Spanish account for example to pay Hidraqua which accepts only Spanish
Banks working with la Caixa (their bank)..

Hi, I pay Hydraqua via direct debit using my Wise account
Bricklayer

Next