Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Not So Smart T.V.

Not So Smart T.V.

Postby pedrosloggett » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:08 pm

I receive television via a dish with a double LNB with a Samsung 'smart' T.V. on each. The older one also has a separate 'decoder box' so I can watch via either. Both of these have found BBC channels in HD without problem. However the latest 'smart' T.V. seems unable to find BBC1 in HD despite several attempts at a total retune.

I assume I should be able to find it manually on a channel I don't need but don't relish wading through hundreds of available channels. Any help appreciated on how to find BBC1 London or SE.
TIA.
pedrosloggett

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Not So Smart T.V.

Postby Wingnut » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:10 am

Does this mean that a modern smart TV will perform the role of a satellite decoder box?
What about recording series and so on that my Humax box does now?
Wingnut

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Espanabums » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:19 am

Certain models of Samsung TV, IE those that are not for UK market, have BBC blocked. This has only happened recently.
Steve & Jill, Torrevieja
Espanabums

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja Centro

Postby pedrosloggett » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:57 am

Wingnut wrote:Does this mean that a modern smart TV will perform the role of a satellite decoder box?
What about recording series and so on that my Humax box does now?

I am fairly sure you can record to an external drive. Since I have my other T.V. set up to record so far I have continued to use that.

Espanabums
Thanks for the info Steve. What happens if I decide to relocate to U.K. and take the T.V. with me?
pedrosloggett

Postby jpeg » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:07 pm

jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby jpeg » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:36 pm

I use a Philips Smart TV and there are plenty of BBC HD channels around 70 t0 90 on the built in satelite decoder, brilliant picture in full HD
jpeg

Postby pedrosloggett » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:59 pm

Jpeg. Thanks for the link but it doesn't help. I have been able to tune to Freesat but it is only the BBC HD channels that are missing. Is it possible as Steve says that these are blocked in Spain?
pedrosloggett

Postby jpeg » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:03 pm

can not be blocked I am watching them now on a Philips and a Samsung smart tv and you can not stop a decoder in a tv from recieving a channel
jpeg

Postby pedrosloggett » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:24 pm

Thanks Jpeg. It's almost like the T.V. thinks it's smart enough to decide which channels it thinks I would like to watch. I will try an upgrade scan later and see if I can pick them up. Cannot understand why they seem so difficult to find. :text-thankyouyellow:
pedrosloggett

Postby Darro » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:17 pm

The built in satellite receiver incorporated in some TV's sold in Spain (not necessarily 'Smart' TV's, that's something entirely different) will be generic meaning that an unconditional scan will find every channel broadcasting from the 28.3E cluster (literally hundreds) after which it's down to you the user to pick the bones out of them and tag the ones which actually provide a picture along with something you might want to watch.

I've been there and it's a soul destroying task which sapped my will to live hence I gave up on it and bought a Firestick instead.

If you insist on using satellite do yourself a favour and get a Freesat box of some sort, your sanity will thank you!

Recording ability will be down to individual TV's.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Next