Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Setting up Wise a/c

Setting up Wise a/c

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:30 am

I need to transfer money from UK to my bank account in Spain. I haven't got a Wise account but was hoping to set one up. Is it easy? Do you then transfer it from your UK bank into Wise and then transfer it into your Spanish account. How much can you transfer at a time, I'm hoping to bring a large amount, is it best to do it bit by bit? I know there are many posts on Wise but it would take forever to go through them all. I'd just like a guide of how to go about it. Thank you for any help. Chris
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Re: Setting up Wise a/c

Postby wilsonm10 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:08 am

Thats how I used to do it UK Bank Account to Wise, convert to euros within wise and then transfer to my spanish bank, I have since got rid of the spanish bank (and saved fees) and now pay direct debits from Wise etc

Regarding amounts, i shopped around as it was a large amount and managed to get a forex rate (on the back of a larger deal) from my UK bank which was better than anything else I could get but normally Wise is pretty good on the rate
wilsonm10

Which part of Spain are you from?: Wokingham

Postby Paul Uden » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:10 am

Hi Chris, you can use this link to sign up to Wise:
https://wise.com/invite/ahpc/paulu119

Your description is basically correct. There are various options, but I usually transfer the sterling from my UK bank account and then Wise send the equivalent euros to whichever euro account I request.

The process is all explained as you go along on the app (or website if you prefer that).

To test the process and to make sure you feel comfortable with it you can send a small amount first, say, £100. Funds normally arrive within seconds of you sending the sterling, but I seem to remember the first time it took a bit longer. As for the 'large' amount I would have to check that out to be sure, but the limit is higher than most of us are likely to need.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:43 am

Thank you I'm just trying to get dad's money over here as he's getting on now and don't want hassle when he kicks the bucket plus may need it for care here. Thank you x
Chrisdee

Postby Paul Uden » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:54 am

Chrisdee wrote:Thank you I'm just trying to get dad's money over here as he's getting on now and don't want hassle when he kicks the bucket plus may need it for care here. Thank you x

OK. I think the sterling has to come from an account in the same name as the Wise account so put it in your account first if it isn't already. If it's a joint account you just name the other account holder as part of the transaction. If you try and transfer too much it will just tell you and you can transfer the rest another time. I've certainly sent several thousands before.
Paul Uden

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:48 pm

It's a joint account here in Spain, dad and I so should be ok ?

Paul Uden wrote:
Chrisdee wrote:Thank you I'm just trying to get dad's money over here as he's getting on now and don't want hassle when he kicks the bucket plus may need it for care here. Thank you x

OK. I think the sterling has to come from an account in the same name as the Wise account so put it in your account first if it isn't already. If it's a joint account you just name the other account holder as part of the transaction. If you try and transfer too much it will just tell you and you can transfer the rest another time. I've certainly sent several thousands before.
Chrisdee

Postby Paul Uden » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:22 pm

Chrisdee wrote:It's a joint account here in Spain, dad and I so should be ok ?

Paul Uden wrote:

It doesn't matter about the final destination account in Spain. That can be anyone. It's the UK account from which you transfer sterling to your Wise account. That must have your name on it if I remember rightly. So if the sterling is in your dad's account, and you have access, you may have to transfer it to yourself first.
Paul Uden

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:30 pm

That's stuffed that then, as it's only in dad's name in the UK. Thanks Paul
Chrisdee

Postby jpeg » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:29 pm

You will need to open a Wise account in your Dads name then transfer in amounts of maybe 10K into your spanish bank account
0r you can open a wise account in your name and transfer from your dads uk account to you Wise account use this link to set up your account https://wise.com/invite/ahpc/frederickp1
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:35 pm

I hate all this, thanks Fred, may try setting dad up with an account.

jpeg wrote:You will need to open a Wise account in your Dads name then transfer in amounts of maybe 10K into your spanish bank account
0r you can open a wise account in your name and transfer from your dads uk account to you Wise account use this link to set up your account https://wise.com/invite/ahpc/frederickp1
Chrisdee

Next