Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Habitation certificate

Habitation certificate

Postby Tuj66 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:28 pm

Just realised I do not have habitation certificate for my property, surely this should have been obtained by agent when I purchased property?
Tuj66

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Habitation certificate

Postby David Stokes » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:20 pm

Yes it should, and checked by your solicitor.
David Stokes

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Bee » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:58 pm

How long have you had the property? They are valid for 10yrs. You will only need one if you are selling.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby marcliff » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:21 pm

If you purchased the property as a new build then a first occupancy licence will (or should be) among the documentation. This lasts for 10 years and is not necessary for renewal. The first occupancy licence shows the builder has met the required standards and the builder's guarantee is valid for 10 years.

If the property was pre owned but within the 10 years then the first occupancy licence should be replaced with a second occupation licence which will be valid until the 10 years is up.

Only when the property is more than 10 years old does a habitation certificate need to be in use and then only when you come to sell it or if extensive works have been done since the first issue. It may also be required by utility companies if you wish to change contracts.

If you require one, you can obtain the licence of first occupation from the builders but if it requires a habitation certificate (which should have been passed on by the seller) then you can apply for another one from the town hall who may charge for it and this cost, depending on the municipality, could be from zero up to 300 euro.

You should contact your solicitor who should have assured one of these documents was in place.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2