Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

House sale taxes

House sale taxes

Postby Mjt222 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:20 pm

Hello,

Could someone outline for me what costs are involved in the sale of a house, which is likely to be more than we paid for it, it we will be buying another property so trying to understand what costs are involved as residents

Thanks
Mjt222

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Re: House sale taxes

Postby Spannygranny » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:23 pm

We have just sold and bought. Estate agents fees are 3% plus IVA, notary is about 1400, then 10% of the purchase price of your new house in tax to the government plus your lawyers fees. We didn't have to pay CGT as we are over 65, and fiscal resident. I think in all we paid about 25,000€ on the sale and purchase.
Spannygranny

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Mjt222 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:24 pm

Spannygranny wrote:We have just sold and bought. Estate agents fees are 3% plus IVA, notary is about 1400, then 10% of the purchase price of your new house in tax to the government plus your lawyers fees. We didn't have to pay CGT as we are over 65, and fiscal resident. I think in all we paid about 25,000€ on the sale and purchase.

Thankyou that’s helpful, we are both fiscal residents and i am hopeful that any CGT is any, would be minimal

Did you have to pay plusvalía tax ?
Mjt222

Postby marcliff » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:52 pm

CGT if it is your main home, you have lived there for over 3 years and you are over 65 is not payable.
If the new house you are buying is going to be your main home and the cost is more than you get from your current property then there is no CGT to pay. The new house can be anywhere in the EU.

Yes, you pay plus valia tax.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Mjt222 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:06 pm

marcliff wrote:CGT if it is your main home, you have lived there for over 3 years and you are over 65 is not payable.
If the new house you are buying is going to be your main home and the cost is more than you get from your current property then there is no CGT to pay. The new house can be anywhere in the EU.

Yes, you pay plus valia tax.

Thank you, I think I read the way they calculate plusvalía has changed ? We are actually downsizing, so whilst still in Spain the new house will be less than the current value of the one we are selling
Mjt222

Postby marcliff » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:07 pm

That's because you could end up paying plus valia even if you didn't make a profit which was declared unconstitutional. The quickly came up with a new and, if you can't prove you haven't made a profit, you end up paying a municipal tax in the same way.

CGT is paid to the local government and is on the net profit. You can deduct fees, taxes and so on from the selling price. That includes notary fees, solicitors fees, VAT and property transfer tax. You then pay on the net profit at 21 to 24% of the profit going up in stages.

Hopefully a good solicitor will minimize the amount you have to pay so make sure you keep all the receipts.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2