Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Might the 90 day rule change at some point..?

Re: Might the 90 day rule change at some point..?

Postby AndyC » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:50 am

:text-goodpost:
AndyC

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Neradd » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:39 pm

Think about the logic of it, How would it work ?

Marcliff came up with the only sensible option, Spain adopt a 180 / 365 or Calendar year.
But what happens if after 100 days you decide to drive to France or Portugal for a 3 week break ?
You've broken the 90/180 rule again.
Why should France have any allegiance to us Rossbif ?

It's never going to happen.

And it will keep getting put in online publications as click bait...
The next time this topic comes up will be around Easter 2024 and you will fall for it again.
Neradd

Which part of Spain are you from?: Marquesa

Postby Gustav » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:43 pm

Tizzy74 wrote:
brandyboy wrote:
Mac3blade wrote:I’m horrified by the attitude of some fellow members. Sour grapes comes to mind.
It has long been my opinion that Spain was never going to implement the 90 day rule. However, once this electronic system is put in place, they’ll be obliged to implement the rule. It’s sad to hear expats become so bitter. Those of us who have 2 homes have to pay a lot of money for the privilege. There are fewer and fewer English speaking people coming to our area. It’s all Russian, Ukrainian, Belgian and Scandinavian. Yes, older Brits still spend the winter months in Benidorm but fewer and fewer are coming to our areas.
The world is made up with super rich people who don’t know what they are worth. They are the privileged wealthy folk who still have to deal with health problems and family difficulties, the same as the rest of us. I couldn’t care less about their wealth and you should t either.
My Angry, I’m sure you’ll be happy enough to take your pension or anything else you are entitled to from the U.K. How would you feel if we ( non residents) hoped that thus would be withdrawn as you have chosen to live in a different country. I’ll bet you’d be very ANGRY and rightly so too. Live and let live. You are living the dream while we are at home getting on with our lives.
Negative thoughts are very bad for the human psyche Put those rotten thoughts out of your mind and concentrate on being happy. You chose to move to Spain to live and I have no doubt that you are very happy with your life. I don’t want to live in Spain. I love my home and my family nearby. I equally love the time I spend in Spain but don’t begrudge you and others who have taken the giant step to live your lives elsewhere and waken up everyday to be met by blue skies and sunshine.
My heart goes out to those people who can’t stay for the whole winter anymore and I’d like to see Spain moving the goal poles too.

A good answer to some nasty people.

Mac3blade can say that possession of a EU Irish passport makes words easy, don't think the 180days applies.
Last edited by Gustav on Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gustav

Postby 1foot4ward » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:53 pm

As I mentioned previously, Spain already has Golden visa which removes the issue & has no requirement to stay over 183 days during the year (which makes someone a tax resident). It’s a great option of buying a property.

Spain could add another non-working visa option for property owners if they wanted to in addition to current options & the 90 day Schengen zone tourist visa.
1foot4ward

Postby blingle » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:12 am

1foot4ward wrote:As I mentioned previously, Spain already has Golden visa which removes the issue & has no requirement to stay over 183 days during the year (which makes someone a tax resident). It’s a great option of buying a property.

Spain could add another non-working visa option for property owners if they wanted to in addition to current options & the 90 day Schengen zone tourist visa.

It is an option, but how many people realistically have €500000 to invest in property, or €1m+ to invest in stocks & shares?
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby suzi wong » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:09 pm

If the Spain government was that bothered,they could always pull out of the EU,then they could do what they wanted. :D
suzi wong

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 11

Postby Darro » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:44 pm

Gustav wrote:a EU Irish passport makes words easy, don't think the 180days applies.

It always applies and to everyone, it's just that nobody enforces it which makes you an illegal.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Mr, Angry » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:55 pm

I don’t know the figures and I’m only speculating but I would think that the number of ex pats affected by Brexit, with the bad exchange rates, extra taxes on imported goods and red tape at airports and docks to name but a few instances far,far exceeds the small number of disgruntled 2nd home owners that Brexit has affected.
Mr, Angry

Postby Lari » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:33 pm

[quote="Mr, Angry"]I’ll tell you why. Because of Brexit we as a family (along with many thousands of other ex pats) have spent a lot of money abiding by the law and getting our residencies in order that we can live legally in this country as required by EU law, and now they want to let everyone come and live here for free. Are we going to get our money back? Will it just be U.K. or every other eu member state? I hope the other members veto this idea.[/quot

We moved to Spain in 2007 and had to pay through the nose in order to gain residency. Brexit didn't change that. All that changed with Brexit was that those people living under the radar had to get legal at a cost - I presume you were one judging by your "angry"position. People will always have to pay to gain residency.

I suspect that amending the 90/180 rule is merely an attempt to increase revenue from tourists and second home owners by increasing the length of time they can remain in the Country.
Lari

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby marcliff » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:52 pm

Excuse me for asking but why did you pay through the nose for residency?
We bought, as non residents, in 2004. You didn't even need an NIE then but we went to Playa Flamenca town hall and got one which didn't cost anything. No taxes back then.

We moved over permanently in Jan 2011 and immediately got an appointment at the Elche National Police Station for the green register of EU nationals residing in Spain. Cost u 9.20 for the tax.

Got our SIP cards (my wife as being over 60 with and S1 and me being a beneficiary) which was all processed for us.

Then we got the TIE issued which cost about 12 euro for the tax each. Apart from petrol to get back and forth to the places and the minimal tax we didn't pay anything to get residency, let alone pay through the nose for them. The only thing we paid for was the changing of the driving licences as I found those at the DGT very unhelpful and paid One Way about 80 euro for both to be done.

Now it does cost a lot to get the visa but we certainly didn't pay a lot back then. Except for the house of course.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

PreviousNext