Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Firestick British tv

Firestick British tv

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:46 am

Good morning everyone.
Was reading the Olive Press recently and they reported that people Using the good old Firestick loaded with all the British channels on a system called IPTV were doing so illegally. Arrests have been made and the business is worth millions. This got me thinking, how can people access British tv legally? I’ve used the sky box for many years but that’s also illegal as not supposed to remove it from our home I think. Is there a simple and legal way to access U.K. television? I also have a small free view box which is fed by our sky dish. It’s ideal for bedroom viewing.
Someone recently on the Costablanca forum is trying to reinstate the winter fuel allowance for Spanish/ British residents. I think we should put together a petition to BBC and ITV I imagine if you could pay the licence fee to BBC and receive a log in number, you’d probably do so. I know that I would too. Any thought?
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Re: Firestick British tv

Postby jpeg » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:00 am

do you mean you have a Freesat box not Freeview
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:16 am

No idea what you call it. We bought a smart tv some years ago and their men installed it for us. They also replaced the smaller tv and installed it on the wall if our bedroom. They brought a little receiver with them and screwed in a cable which fed from the sky dish. A million bbc channels ( every area). ITV and numerous others.
Which is it?
Mac3blade

Postby jpeg » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:25 am

Must be a normal Satelite receiver not Freesat or Freeview
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:47 pm

Really? How can I receive freesat or freeview?
Mac3blade

Postby Benbow » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:32 am

I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to pay the tv licence fee to watch the dross that comes from the BBC. Please don't start that!
Benbow

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby Darro » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:58 am

Mac3blade wrote:People Using the good old Firestick loaded with all the British channels on a system called IPTV were doing so illegally.
That statement is false on it's face as viewing British TV on the firestick is not at all the same as using an IPTV service.

Those providing IPTV services are indeed operating illegally and yes arrests have been made and no doubt more will be made in the future but to blandly claim that using a Firestick to watch British TV in Spain is illegal, that being defined as breaking a specific law, is risible.

One can argue that watching the BBC iPlayer without a UK TV licence is against UK law but that does not and cannot extend or be enforced beyond UK borders.

Regarding Sky boxes, removing them from UK to use elsewhere is simply a contravention of Sky's T&C's, it is not illegal nor an offence.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby HarvHar2018 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:17 am

Its hard to believe that people in the UK still pay the BBC licence fee :text-lol:
Keep your face always towards the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you
HarvHar2018

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Mac3blade » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:17 am

I listen to the radio in the car and invariably it’s. BBC. I waken in the morning to Radio Ulster. We watch iPlayer constantly and miss it terribly when in Spain. I can’t be bothered with advert breaks on ITV. For all the BBC licence costs, it’s well worth it. The BBC dramas are superb.
The licence is for a whole year and is not expensive in todays world.
Mac3blade

Postby HarvHar2018 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:56 am

Why pay it when there's no need to though
Keep your face always towards the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you
HarvHar2018

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Next