Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Foreign Exchange

Foreign Exchange

Postby 2Sheds » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:43 am

My current FX company has introduced a rule change that I find quite restrictive.
The company is CurrencyFair and I would like to know if other companies are introducing the same rule.

I used to be able to deposit Sterling into my account then wait for a period of time for a favorable exchange rate.
This is no longer allowed. Now when I deposit Sterling it is automatically exchanged and transferred out to my Spanish bank.

I suspect that CurrencyFair have been forced into introducing this rule otherwise I cannot see any logic for it.

Has anyone else experienced this?
2Sheds

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Re: Foreign Exchange

Postby Gladys Street » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:09 pm

I use Wise. I can pay in sterling. It just sits in the account until im ready to convert to euros. If I convert it to euros it sits in the euro account until im ready to pay, spend or withdraw it. No problems.
Gladys Street

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cabo Roig

Postby 2Sheds » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:55 pm

Thanks. I can't understand why CurrencyFair are introducing the change of rule for no apparent reason.
2Sheds

Postby suzi wong » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:09 pm

We use Wise for everything ,money transfers ,paying all our d/debits,as Gladys says just pay into your Wise pound account & transfer when you want. You’ll probably find you’ll get better exchange rates as well, Good luck.
suzi wong

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 11

Postby MacinSpain » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:19 am

Gladys Street wrote:I use Wise. I can pay in sterling. It just sits in the account until im ready to convert to euros. If I convert it to euros it sits in the euro account until im ready to pay, spend or withdraw it. No problems.

Wise are also paying interest on money in your account
MacinSpain

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Bottlebrook » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:06 am

We also use wise for our currency transactions and retain GBP until the rate is favourable.
https://wise.com/invite/dic/davidj58
Bottlebrook

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby 2Sheds » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:53 pm

I have just opened a Wise account and deposited 20 GBP as the initial amount. I did this via my HSBC debit card.
For doing this I was charged 8p. Is it normal for GBP deposits in incur a fee with wise?
Seems odd to me.
2Sheds

Postby Paul Uden » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:31 pm

2Sheds wrote:I have just opened a Wise account and deposited 20 GBP as the initial amount. I did this via my HSBC debit card.
For doing this I was charged 8p. Is it normal for GBP deposits in incur a fee with wise?
Seems odd to me.

The fee for a "fast transfer" is 0.42%. If you choose "low cost transfer" and make a bank transfer it is free. Once you've set it up it all goes through in seconds the next time which is fast enough for me.
Paul Uden

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada

Postby suzi wong » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:13 pm

2Sheds wrote:I have just opened a Wise account and deposited 20 GBP as the initial amount. I did this via my HSBC debit card.
Seems odd to me.

Just transfer it direct from your UK account straight into your Wise pound account,no charge & it’s almost instant by the time I’ve logged in to check ,it’s there.
suzi wong

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 11

Postby 2Sheds » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:51 pm

Thanks for the information.
2Sheds

Next